How much will it cost to get a Work Visa in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

javajoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really Love Thailand. I want to work there as an OWSI but in my experience or lack there of it appears shops only work with freelance OWSI so they do not have to deal with Thai bureaucracy. I have a steady income of $3000 USD a month and only $3000 in my savings because i just blew $9000 on Scuba training. I am wondering if I can make this happen. I really want to live and work in Thailand. When I was stationed in South Korea for 3 years I went to Thailand twice a year. When I got out of the military I moved to Thailand for a year but had to fly in and out once a month for Visa purposes and was always scared I would be denied entry because I flew in and out so often. I am a 29 year old Male and in good condition. I really want to make my dream come true but am not 100% sure on how to make it happen. What I know so far is that I need to fly into Thailand and set up a company. I need an address for this and 25,000 baht for expenses but I do not know who the money goes to or where to keep it. Next I must have a minimum of one Thai or 2 foreigner or 2 Thai 1 foreigner and name the company whatever I want. After I set up the company I can apply for work permits and visa for business . Cost for work permit 1 year 25,000 baht and visa for business 23,500 baht. It seems to me though that if everyone has to do this than there should be some positions open to work for someone else instead of doing all this myself. Is there a minimum I have to make each month? Does Thailand have a minimum wage? I have also heard that the Thai people I hire only have to be on paper only not really employed by me. If not can I just hire a maid and a masseuse even though I am a dive company? LOL... Will I still need to make visa runs or can I just stay in Thailand forever as long as I pay the Thai Government 50,000 Baht a year? I would really appreciate any advice or answers.

Last edited:
Thanks, Is there a lot of work for OWSI in Patong?

Thaivisa.com might be your best resource for visa questions. Many useful articles, posts, and links there that should give you up to date info on what your looking for.
Yes, for the general principle Thai Visa is a very good resource, but for the execution it is not, the Thai Visa posters really don't know the ins and outs of the visa process for dive instructors, which tends to work a bit different from the general WP and visa rules. It is for example possible to avoid the required Thai staff and avoid the minimum 2 mio Baht capital.

In general, for work: if you speak your languages there is plenty of work, if you don't, there is lots of competition from experienced instructors who know the area.

A general thing for setting up a business (as I did it many times). When you have a realistic business plan. Just double the expenses for starting in it.
There is always something that you need additionally or costs way more than you got told before, etc..
For WP, etc there are several companies who are doing it for you. I would check out many (google) and send emails with detailed questions. That will help you to sort out 90 % (no answer at all, or answer that clearly shows they have less idea than you have).

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 09:44 AM ----------

Yes, for the general principle Thai Visa is a very good resource, but for the execution it is not, the Thai Visa posters really don't know the ins and outs of the visa process for dive instructors, which tends to work a bit different from the general WP and visa rules. It is for example possible to avoid the required Thai staff and avoid the minimum 2 mio Baht capital.

In general, for work: if you speak your languages there is plenty of work, if you don't, there is lots of competition from experienced instructors who know the area.

yes, consider everything from Thai Visa careful. Lot good informations but also lots of wrong one....

I am familiar with Thai Visa, I discovered it about 6 years ago. I don't know whats really true and what is BS on that site sometime. I see many job postings on the PADI site for Thailand but when I apply they tell me that they are looking for instructors already in the area. Is this how all dive jobs are? They only hire you if you are in the immediate area? I am new at this and fresh out of school. I keep hearing conflicting information about Thailand. I have had emails from shop owners Pattaya saying every shop is in need of OWSI as well as sporadic jobs in Patong, where I'd rather be. However some also say it is very competitive. I think the people already over there do not want any fresh blood lol. I am about to just throw caution to the wind and try to make it work. If I fail, at least I tried...

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 03:54 PM ----------

Are there many out of work instructors there?

No, no out of work instructors here. If people are not being employed they move away.

Unless you have something really special you have to be on the ground to find employment.

Unless you have something really special you have to be on the ground to find employment.

I have a birthmark in the shape of Massachusetts. Is that special enough?

:D

Back
Top Bottom