Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocolatemonkee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking of heading to Pattaya to dive the wrecks and was wondering if anyone can recommend a shop that does tech trips (not training) on regular basis? Love to spend a bit more time checking the wrecks out.
As well, anyone know of any regular tech trips run in Thailand in late April, May or early June?
Thanks in Advance
CM

Pattaya's wrecks are only at around 30m, and well within recreational limits.
I am not aware of any shop that runs Tech trips on a regular basis, Pattaya diving does not really need tech diving skills as most worthwhile dives are quite shallow, consequently daily dive trips just cater to the tourist market, as serious divers generally do not go to Pattaya. Having said that tech diving is available in the area. Try adventure divers. About | Adventure Divers Pattaya Thailand

This isn't really relevant to the Pattaya area, but the Tech Thailand folks used to dive a number of distant Gulf wrecks from the liveaboard MV Giamani in the summer months . . . but they told me earlier this year that they've decided not to do that anymore. I was really disappointed to hear that, because this was the summer I was going to finally get around to going on one of their liveaboards.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone is going to fill that void and run liveaboard trips to the Gulf wrecks in the future.

Nope? Nothing?

Sad that those Gulf wrecks are just lying there, waiting for someone to dive them . . .

To the OP and others interested in Pattaya: there are a couple of scuttled wrecks (the Kood and the Khram) which are dived recreationally -- by that, I mean single cylinders, no deco stops -- nearly every day. To my recollection they're both at about 25-30msw maximum depth so EAN32 gives you some OK bottom time. Before they were scuttled they were cleaned and big holes were cut in them, and if I recall correctly a diver is never very far from an exit to open water (i.e., more like swim-throughs than technical penetrations requiring a guideline and tech training).

I haven't been to Pattaya for a few years so I can't tell you which dive centers will provide you with twin cylinders and deco gases and let you dive the Kood and the Khram as technical dives -- probably Mermaids, though, if they're still in business, will let you tag along with their daily recreational dive trip and then just wait by the wreck and eat lunch while you finish your dive and do your deco. (That's what the now-defunct Aquanauts did for me last time I was in the area.)

The Hardeep is a World War 2 cargo shipwreck near Pattaya (about a half-hour drive to the fishing village where you get the boat, as I recall) and is also about 30msw deep. The Hardeep was a nice dive a few years ago but she lies in an area with some strong currents sometimes, and is breaking up. Fairly wide open inside so laying line with a reel is more of a hazard than a help in most parts of the wreck. I've heard the Hardeep has collapsed even further since I was there last, so beware on the inside. Same as Pattaya itself: haven't been there for ages, so I'm not sure which dive centers will cater to a diver wanting to dive the Hardeep as a technical dive.

Thanks Makhno. I appreciate your help. I'm in Thailand now and heading to Indo soon.

Lord khram- I dive wherever I go. Serious or not. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom