Where to dive in Thailand in January-February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yoni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are planning a trip to Thailand around January-February. I dive but my wife does not. I am hoping to get at least a few dives in while we're there but I have no idea where would be my best options. A liveaboard option would be out because my wife would not stay such a long time on a boat. Maybe a 1 day boat trip would work, if it had something for my wife to do while I was diving.
Any suggestions for "must see" dive sites" and creditable dive centers would be greatly appreciated. Also some sort of idea on costs.
Thanks
JK

Andaman (west) coast of Thailand. By far the best diving Thailand has to offer, both liveaboard and day trips. Long boat trips though to some of the best sites. The time of year you are considering will generally be good conditions for that area.

The easiest day trips would be to the Phi Phi Islands, including Bida Nai and Bida Nok. These are about 1.5 hours or more from the Southern end of Phuket, and closer to the area around Krabi on the mainland. You might spend a night on Phi Phi, where your wife could explore around town while you're diving. You might also enjoy a cruise up to the Pang Na Bay Area, where you can do some kayaking or snorkeling.
The Similan Island National Park is open during that time, but really best accessible by liveaboard. There are a few speedboats that will take you there from Kaolak, but it's a long and expensive ride for a couple dives.
Thailand has caves, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andaman sea is more famous. You could stay at Khao lak for instance. But usually you have to go 1.5 hours by speed boat to the similan Islands. It's real offshore with often high waves. At least one guest in the speedboat will be seasick ( November ) don't know the conditions in January or February. There is one dive spot close to the shore you should dive: boonsung wreck, a sunken digger. Some spots are also fine for snorkelling at the similans.
And. Please do not miss the khaosok national park!

Yes, Andaman Coast. Options to stay there: Khao Lak (Similans etc.), Phuket (Racha Islands, Shark Point area, Phi Phi, Similans etc.), Phi Phi (Shark Point area, Phi Phi), Ao Nang (Shark Point area, Phi Phi), Koh Lanta (Hin Daeng/Muang, Phi Phi). As you can tell from these divesites it can get busy at Phi Phi :).

I would recommend to decide where to stay based on other things to do and what your wife likes to do, the diving will be really nice from all these places.

Thank you for all your replies. Now I can begin to investigate further. Can anyone recommend a good dive center that is reliable and not expensive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom