New Tapana Catamaran

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
The new Tapana Catamaran is finally ready to sail. You can see some photos on their FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tapana/1554846471398005?sk=timeline

Looks quite luxurious with big cabins and a Jacuzzi. I haven't seen photos of the dive deck, but it does have a lift for the dingy….

Oddly, their own website has no mention of the new boat.

The low season schedule (Chumphon/Koh Tao) is here:

New Tapana Catamaran - Chumphon/Koh Tao

We've booked a trip mid-June. I'll post more here when we're back.

Soon. Dive days are 19-21 of this month.

image.jpgimage.jpg

From their FB page....

First, a caveat: This is a Thai boat that is marketed exclusively to Thai divers. The language is Thai, the cuisine (for the most part) is Thai, and the mode of operation is Thai.

The boat was finally completed earlier this year. It is a twin hull craft, so the beam is broader than most other dive boats. It is very stable. Almost no roll or yaw with only minor pitch. The craft is very spacious. The en suite cabins are huge with plenty of storage and closet space, standard double or twin beds and tons of power points for charging your stuff.

The upper sun deck has plenty of covered area and a hot tub (jacuzzi) big enough for about eight people.

The main deck has enough seating for everyone to dine at once. The air conditioned lounge has plenty of seating and a modern entertainment system.

The dive deck has the en suite cabins, galley, tank and gear storage and a dive lift. When I first heard about the dive lift I figured it was a useless gimmick. After using it for a few days I'm a believer. It is a very efficient way to get a whole bunch of divers in and out of the water safely and quickly. The lift is about 3X3 meters and can probably accommodate up to 12 divers. At its upper limit it is level with the dive gear area. At its lower limit it is a meter and a half under water.

One drawback of the lift is that it reduces the amount of space for gear stowage. As a result the tanks are very close together. Gearing up is a bit difficult for the first group of divers.

The dive deck doesn't have a hose or outdoor shower. As a result, the two dive deck restrooms end up being used by divers to rinse themselves and their gear. It wouldn't take much to install a couple of showers and hoses with spray nozzles leaving the bathrooms available for people who really need the toilet.

For reasons beyond me the craft has central air conditioning and central water heating. The end result is rooms that are much, much too cold and showers that are nowhere near hot enough. A fix is promised for both problems.

As is the case with many projects in Thailand, the designers of this boat seem to have forgotten that it rains now and then in Thailand. The rain runoff from the sun deck empties onto dining tables on the main deck. This would be easy to fix. I hope they do it.

During the off season Tapana Catamaran is doing weekend trips out of Chumphon to Koh Tao and vicinity. The trips are scheduled so that Bangkok based divers can leave the city after work on Thursday and get on the boat by midnight. There are four dives on Friday and Saturday and three on Sunday. Return to port is in time to get back to Bangkok by midnight Sunday. The cost of this trip is about 23,000 baht per person for the en suite cabins.

During the high season the boat will move to the Andaman side and do both north and south Andaman trips. These are four night four day trips with 14 dives. The cost is about 30,000 per person.

The Thai dive guide my wife and I had was quite good and spoke excellent English. His dive style, slow and deliberate, matches my own, so I was happy. My wife is a relatively new diver and he took several opportunities to offer her pointers and teach her a few skills. We were very pleased.

Finally, the food was especially excellent with a good range of both Thai and international dishes. One evening we had barbecued steaks (chicken, pork and beef). Another meal was a huge selection of really nice sushi. Thai dishes included som tam and larb moo, various curries, khao niao mamuang and more.

In summary, this is a really nice new boat with a few inconvenient flaws. IMHO the price is very good for a cruise of this quality.

Thanks for that. I just checked their website, which made me wonder something. They are doing the same as some other Thai boats are doing and which I really don't understand: last dive finished around 16.00 hours, and the next day at 08.00 hours transfer to the airport? That really is asking for problems IMO.

Yeah, well, it's a Thai boat.

Which web page did you look at? If it was the one for Chumphon/Koh Tao, they don't really expect anyone to fly. They provide a van for the trips between Bangkok and Chumphon.

For the Andaman trips they recommend a flight after noon. I know that's cutting it a bit close if the last dive is mid-Afternoon….

I looked at the Andaman page. Cutting it a bit close is being too gentle, I'd say asking for problems.

Up to them though, I'd advise my guests to arrange alternative transport and help them with that if preferred.

I posted this short video of the lift in action on YouTube:

[video]https://youtu.be/i8qEU7pDcF0[/video]

I don't know why I can't embed it:

---------- Post added June 24th, 2015 at 12:24 PM ----------

I looked at the Andaman page. Cutting it a bit close is being too gentle, I'd say asking for problems.

Up to them though, I'd advise my guests to arrange alternative transport and help them with that if preferred.

Well, that's why I opened my review with the caveat. If you're not comfortable with Thai attitudes toward safety and organization, then this boat is not for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom