Krabi vs Phuket? Opinions on Krabi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm now hearing that Phuket isn't so great and am wondering if I should stay in Krabi instead...thing is, I want to do a Similan liveaboard, go to Koh Phi Phi and go to Koh Samui. What do people think of Krabi?

uniquecreature1:
Hi, I'm now hearing that Phuket isn't so great and am wondering if I should stay in Krabi instead...thing is, I want to do a Similan liveaboard, go to Koh Phi Phi and go to Koh Samui. What do people think of Krabi?

I am also going soon (next week). According to what i've foudn so far is that both from krabi as phuket more or less the same divesites can be visited Hin Muang/Deang, etc. Krabi seems more beautiful (acc. to me), phuket offers more nightlife.
I went to Similans b4 already, did that from Khao Lak = quiet beachplace 60 km north of phuket. Have daytrips and enough dive operators

cyaa
jellz

I would do it like this (did it two times and liked it):

go to Phuket - or even better - Khao Lak, one hour north of Phuket to do the Similan liveaboard. Boats leave from Tap Lamu port; this is the shortest distance to the Similans; from Phuket it is longer to go, so more expensive, normally. If you want to do daytrips to Similan, this is only possible from Khao Lak, as far as I know. But I would recommend the liveaboard; the daytrips are quite expensive and the travel is long. On the liveaboard you're normally the first on the dive spots (be prepared for many diveboats in high season!)

Krabi is very beautiful because of the limestone cliffs, you could do day trips to Ko Phi Phi or the other islands around (Chicken island etc.) but visibility there is usually not so good. Maybe you would like to stay for a couple of days just for relaxing or some rock climbing (one of the best areas in the world) and then move on to the island of Ko Lanta for more diving. In Krabi, I would recommend to stay on Railey Beach West or Tonsai Beach for the nicest view.

Ko Lanta can be easily reached by car or ferry via Krabi, Phuket, Phi Phi etc. (several hours) - quite relaxed, few people, long beaches and the shortest distances to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang (you must go there! It's much better than the Similans) or the Ko Ha islands (very beautiful and good chances for whale sharks). The dive schools are in Ban Saladan in the north of the island, so maybe take a bungalow on one of the northern beaches so that you can be picked up in the morning for diving.

Wish you a very nice holiday!

gabyne has it pretty much sorted.
just use Phucket as access to the similans its very commercial and didn't have much of a 'Thai' feel.

Try khoalak scuba advantures for your livaboard www.[B]khaolakscubaadventures[/B].com

Krabi is stunning although Ao nang is getting commercial. I stayed on Naporratarra beach next to ao nang much more relaxed and cheaper.

Try scuba addicts in Ao Nang they do all the trips. They friendly and relaxed and will pick you up. www.[I]scuba-addicts[/I].com.
I found railey a bit of a pain as you can only get there by longtail boat so anything you want to see on the main land takes planning. Worth a day or so if you are into climbing. Didn't like the dive shops there.

Lanta is developing but not much to do except the beaches and diving.
Try lanta divers www.[B]lantadiver[/B].com they were very professional and helpful.

have a good trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom