Better off buying equipment in Thailand??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicolas

Registered
Reaction score
Am I better off buying my diving gear at a dive shop in Thailand (like in Koh Tao) or in the US? Is the price difference of diving equipment usually significant between the US and Thailand? Thanks for your suggestions or advice.

Nicolas

I was thinking exactly the same thing that thailand might be cheaper than getting it elsewhere since the currency and all that might push the price down but i was wrong. Not so sure abt the difference btw US and thailand, but compared to SIngapore where I am at, Singapore is definitely cheaper, even one of the shop owners in Samui told me the same thing as I checked out the sunnto mosquito in his shop. Was there just this march and i though if some of the things i was thinking of getting was cheaper, i wd get it. but it was abt 20% here on average compared to singapore though. I tried Malaysia for a couple of items (like the zeagle ranger which i just purchased locally in singapore) but they were quoting prices based a lot on international rates. You probably need more feedback on that though. As for indonesia, not so sure either. I wd say Singapore just might be a good bet to get your gear. From what i know, UK seem to be the most expensive place to get equipment, the prices there are ridiculous!!! In US, you may be able to find good bargains every now and then. My friend got a second hand set of a Black Diamond with air2, and a MR12 reg for less than US$300. boy was i envious!!!

I found Thailand very interesting in the way of small accessories, but the rest is pretty expensive, although I haven't done a thorough search as I own all my equipment already.

As long as I know Germany and Italy are among the cheapest countries to buy scuba equipment, the second is logical, most brands originate from there (Scubapro, Mares, Cressi just to name a few), but the Germans are close behind.

For some reason, prices here in Singapore are competitive to the point where I don't see how shops make any money (which might explain the relatively short life-span of all but the more successful shops...). Honestly, I could buy you gear here and send it over there and you'd still save a couple of hundred dollars. Perhaps the only comparable pricing I've found has been at http://www.scubastore.com, http://www.viladomat.ad/deportes/vildefault.xml?deporte=5008 and maybe http://www.leisure-pro.com on some items.

As for Thailand, prices are no better in Phuket than Singapore; perhaps a 10-20% mark-up, which would still be better than in the US I think. Not sure about the other parts of the country.

When I was in Thailand in Jan/feb I bought a Reg set plus Octo and Console for essentially the same price I'd pay in the UK buying through the internet where prices are much better than the prices quoted you by most LDSs. Suggest that you contact the Dive Shop you'll be using in Thailand and get them to quote.
If you're going to Phuket I'd strongly recommend Phuket Scuba Club at Kata Beach - go to: www.phuket-scuba-club.com

Thanks to all for your answer. I am getting quotes from a dive shop in Thailand and will compare prices found on the internet. Nicolas

Back
Top Bottom