Guiness World Record Most Simultaneous Scuba Divers in Koh Tao!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I have just returned from Koh Tao and completed my Divemaster Internship after 6 weeks with Buddha View. We also broke the Guiness Book of World Records for the most Scuba Divers submerged simultaneously! What fun and chaos that was with 760 people going beserk(previous record was 550+) underwater for about 20 minutes follow by 2 days of the Koh Tao Underwater World Festival. I really enjoyed my stay over by Buddha View and the island in general. I am now back in cold and snowy Chicago and really not liking it right now. If anybody needs info in Koh Tao feel free to drop me a PM or just respond.

Hi Shader, I work in Thailand (southern) and am returning late March. I have dove Koh Tao before as well as Krabi area. It is a few years since I've been to Koh Tao so I'm sure it has changed a lot. I'm planning on going to Samui, grabing a speedboat to Koh Tao, spend the day diving, spend one night, dive the next day and back to Samui. Can you recommend an operator? What about one that offers accomidation as a package? Thanks

Shader:
We also broke the Guiness Book of World Records for the most Scuba Divers submerged simultaneously! What fun and chaos that was with 760 people going beserk(previous record was 550+) underwater for about 20 minutes

:06: This is something to be proud of?!

Have to agree with Vie. I dove Koh Tao for a week or 10 days in 2001. One dive on Chumphon Pinnacle was extremely crowded- at least 5-6 different levels of divers swimming above us like schooling fish. Fortunately we were diving the deepest. Still enjoyed diving there and would return.

Dr. Bill

Helipilot:
Hi Shader, I work in Thailand (southern) and am returning late March. I have dove Koh Tao before as well as Krabi area. It is a few years since I've been to Koh Tao so I'm sure it has changed a lot. I'm planning on going to Samui, grabing a speedboat to Koh Tao, spend the day diving, spend one night, dive the next day and back to Samui. Can you recommend an operator? What about one that offers accomidation as a package? Thanks

Well if your only going for a day and night you probably won't really find a package deal per say. I would recommend staying in Chaalok Bay and dive with Buddha View as those guys are really cool and the DM's know their stuff to take you out. The beach there is really layed back and not so busy and clubby as Sairee. You can stay at Tropicana, Sunshine 2, Sunshine and other Bungalows right next to Buddha view so there is no hassle with taxis to the pier as they have them free if your diving with them. Buddha View also has accomodation as well and even some AC rooms there and at Tropicana. The beach/bar scene is real chill too and fun to hang out after dives. Buddha Bar, Easy Bar, Buballoo, Happy Daze, Rock Bar and Carabao are all within stumbling distance of each other and play good music. You can also hop over the hill to Shark Bay and snorkel with the gray reef sharks on your downtime which is fun too. I liked Chaaklok Bay since it's away from the dust and noise of Sairee and Mae Haad and the people there are layed back.

As for other dive outfits I used Master Divers for the Unicorn deep wreck dive 1 day and was pleased with them too. Asia Divers up north on Sairee is also part of Buddha View and are recommended by me as well. The viz is picking up there and Whale Sharks come around towards the end of February. Hope this helps some.

drbill:
Have to agree with Vie. I dove Koh Tao for a week or 10 days in 2001. One dive on Chumphon Pinnacle was extremely crowded- at least 5-6 different levels of divers swimming above us like schooling fish. Fortunately we were diving the deepest. Still enjoyed diving there and would return.

Dr. Bill

This is for fun guys and you can take things a little serious at times. You would have to have been there to understand. The event took place off Sairee Beach in the sand so nothing was destroyed or damaged. I needed a couple days of fun otherwise I was there to learn and work everyday as a DMT. Yes some of the sites are crowded but Koh Tao is really for people who are learning not people looking for great diving although it is fun even when crowded. I must say though that Chumpon and Southwest Pinnacles are really stunning dives on good viz days.

Shader:
What fun and chaos that was with 760 people going beserk
(previous record was 550+) underwater for about 20 minutes

wow... i can't even imagine that :11:

less than ten people near an anchor line is enough to drive me nuts!!

H2Andy:
wow... i can't even imagine that :11:

less than ten people near an anchor line is enough to drive me nuts!!

Everybody was spread out over a broad sandy flat area in groups of 10 - 15 people. each dive op had several groups. I will post some pics soon to give you all a perspective on it. This coincided with the Koh Tao Underwater World Festival and was a great 2 days of music, fun, games, and of course beer.

Back
Top Bottom