Traing in Thailand ... any experience/advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JedG

Reaction score
Hi,

My son is going to train as an instructor in Thialand. We are considering PJ Scuba in Pattaya.
Anyone know of them or trained with them?
Anyone know the diving there?
Any tips on diving in Thailand?

I did my OW-Rescue with Peter S. (now known as PJ Scuba). He is a very capable, friendly and interesting instructor. Lots of knowledge and enjoys what he does. I would recomend Peter. Any particulars, PM me and I'll answer whatever questions I can.
Diving in Thailand, Pattaya is year round. Fair diving, a good place to learn. Viz is usually not real good so if you learn your navigation, search etc. in lower viz, better viz will be a snap later.
Check out our local club, www.damnam.org lots of info there.

if he's going to teach on the mainland, he should really get a work permit asap once there as it would be unfortunate to get kicked out by the tourism police otherwise.

He will enjoy the diving Im sure and the night life with the pubs and clubs will be fun.

JedG:
Hi,

My son is going to train as an instructor in Thialand. We are considering PJ Scuba in Pattaya.
DiveAsia has a very good reputation. Did my Divemaster with them on Phuket and experience how they train instructors. Looked very good and like a lot of fun - but I was to lazy to go for the OWSI by myself and did a liveabord to the Similans instead
03.gif

Never have been to Pattaya (to much sex-tourism for my taste) but I guess diving is better around Phuket as well.

JedG:
Hi,

hey
i would advise you son to do his instructor course somewhere else. diving in pattaya is not great and from what ive heard pattaya is just like bangkok. very dirty and full of prostitution. tell your son to go to the islands. whether it be phuket, phi phi, koh tao, or koh lanta. i did my divemaster course in koh tao and it was nice. depending on the time of year should be a critical aspect as well. right now around until october phuket would not be the ideal choice because it is monsoon season on the west coast. koh tao would be great though. the gulf of thailand is in its peak diving season right now. your son could also check out ko phi phi. i was just there and diving was great. real laid back. personally i have never been to pattaya because i try to stay away from large cities but i have heard it is horrible. i know what bangkok is like and i would never want to live in a place like that. if your son is looking for a laid back island approach with good diving pattaya is definately wrong. if he wants to party every night and doesnt care about the diving then pattaya just may be for him. shoot me a pm or post again and ill answer any other questions about thailand you may have i was just there traveling for a very long time, and plan on going back to live there and malaysia in a couple of years. good luck with your decision.

Actually, depending on his qualification, to go through the IDC, if your son is already a Divemaster with 100+ experienced dives, the length ofthe course is about 11 days. you do not need good diving to complete the training, as during the IDC, the candidates dive to average depth of 5-7m to do their practical teaching.

However, if he is not yet a DM, then location, dive centers, instructor staffs and also dive sites are very critical in the selection.

Feel free to email me if you or your son need any suggestions regarding where & when to go to get proper pro training in Thailand.

JedG:
Hi,

Should your son decide to go to Phuket instead I highly recommend Bent Posejpal from Siam dive n' Sail. He is very experienced and has an excellent reputation over the year's. We recommend all our DM candidates to him and have always been very happy with his results. You can find out more about Bent at http://www.idc-thailand.com or email him via bent@idc-thailand.com

Such an unforunate name for a diving instructor don't you think :lol:

Is that an email address or an advertisment :11:

I'm sure he's a great guy and good intrsuctor who's heard these comments many times before.

The Hamburger:
Such an unforunate name for a diving instructor don't you think :lol:

Is that an email address or an advertisment :11:

I'm sure he's a great guy and good intrsuctor who's heard these comments many times before.

Yes, LOL, nevertheless he really markets his name. His promo t shirts for IDC candidates says " Yes, I got Bent." :lightbulb By the way next time you come to Phuket Hamburger, you should pop in and have a drink with him...and us for that matter. Beer o' clock is at 5:00pm!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom