Anti-fog on housing lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rico68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, all.

I bought the Canon housing for my S30. In the box was a tube of O-ring grease and a tube of anti-fog for the lense. Does anyone use the anti-fog? If so, how do you apply it? Is it really necessary?

It seems when you're relying on a crystal clear lense for photography, anti-fog may mess that up.

Thanks!

Rick

I wouldn't use it.

Most people around here put those silica gel packs in the housing to keep it from fogging -that seems like a much better solution to me.

My 2¢

I agree with Erica. I used to have a problem with fogging and put in a gel pack and now it is gone. Make sure you replace them occasionally.

Steve

I can vouch for the silica gel sachet instead.

Even putting camera in the case in a 25c humid house room and getting into 4c water doesnt cause mist. I like to keep crap away from the lense as even defogger tends to smear a bit on optical glass.

Hmm. i wonder if i could put some silica gel inside my mask......

String:
I can vouch for the silica gel sachet instead.

Even putting camera in the case in a 25c humid house room and getting into 4c water doesnt cause mist. I like to keep crap away from the lense as even defogger tends to smear a bit on optical glass.

Hmm. i wonder if i could put some silica gel inside my mask......

Try 31C :wink:.
Sigh only in the tropics.

My housing has never fogged so far(knocks on wood).

Silica gel sachet for me is the best solution. Een free. Picked them up from shops selling leather goods or bags.

The first time my camera fogged up, I took some anti-fog (for another camera of different make) and applied it on the housing. It didn't work and left a permanent smear on the housing (although there isn't any noticeable distortion to the photos taken). Now I just put a small pack of dessicants into the housing, and it works!

Geez people, he's asking about anti-fog, not moisture muncher gel packs.

Yes I've used anti fog on the inside of the lens, as well as on the back cover screen view port.

Fantasea housings for Nikons SUCK because they don't have a power button to turn the camera on/off. Sure you can turn the monitor onto a shorter sleep mode, but I don't want to wake the camera up every 1 minute.

Yes you can use a liquid type (not gel) anti-fog on the lens. Just a light drop then swirl it around with a Q-tip. Works fine, doesn't smear or show up optically in the picture. Nothing lost, just try it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom