I drowned my S70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrDave

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, it happened... I flooded my S70 (WP DC40 housing) last week in Curacao as I was starting my dive of the Mushroom Forest. :( A few questions for you experts:
1) Is the housing still usable? If so, how do I clean out the inside? Rinse with warm water?
2) Are S70s still available? I searched tonight on the web and couldn't find any at a decent price in the U.S.
3) Other than the S80 (no RAW, sadly), are any other Canons worth considering with similar features as the S70? (I used the S70 in P mode with an Inon D2000 strobe, hoping though someday to graduate to Manual.)

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have to offer.

Dave

I feel your pain!

Yes, the housing should be fine. Just get some distilled water, soak and rinse it really well. Leave it to dry for a couple of days. keep checking for any buildup. Clean and relube orings.

Yes, you can find the s70, but you'll need to look around...http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3894471/search=canon+s70%5D and ebay might have some second hand. These cameras are still on the high side I suspect because they are the latest model to offer RAW in the S series and are still in demand.

I think any of the S or A series will suit your needs. You won't have RAW, but everything else is there.

your right...

i can't find any s70 anymore.

DrDave:
Well, it happened... I flooded my S70 (WP DC40 housing) last week in Curacao as I was starting my dive of the Mushroom Forest. :( A few questions for you experts:
Dave

Sorry about your camera. I'm not an expert, but I would think your housing would be reusable. But I'll let the experts address that to be sure. Do you have any idea of why it failed?

I have only been diving with my camera a half a dozen times now & I am wondering how easy it is for something like this to happen - even with proper care. So, I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Did you check the housing o-ring before you jumped in? If so, did you notice anything wrong?

How do you usually take care of your housing/o-ring and how often?

Thanks,

--Mike

I'd be curious to know why it flooded, also, and was it preventable. I have an A620 with WP-DC90 housing. I've probably had it on 8-10 dives so far with no problems at all, but I maintain it religiously. I'm still nervous about a flood each time, so I watch it like a hawk while descending the first 20 feet or so.

Kirgan:
Sorry about your camera. I'm not an expert, but I would think you housing would be reusable. Do you have any idea of why it failed?

I have only been diving with my camera a half a dozen times now & I am wondering how easy it is for something like this to happen - even with proper care. So, I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Did you check the housing o-ring before you jumped in? If so, did you notice anything wrong?

How do you usually take care of your housing/o-ring and how often?

Thanks,

--Mike

I haven't done a post mortem per se, but I believe it was due to hurridly replacing the o-ring during a battery change in the hotel room between dives, i.e. pilot error. I've been very religious about checking, maintaining & very lightly "greasing" the o-ring before each use. I just screwed up this time. (I do recall using my fingernail to push in the o-ring -- maybe I left a dent.) And no, I didn't check the integrity of the seal until I was at 15 fsw...

If I figure out exactly what hapened, I'll let y'all know.

-- Dave

DrDave:
1) Is the housing still usable? If so, how do I clean out the inside? Rinse with warm water?
2) Are S70s still available? I searched tonight on the web and couldn't find any at a decent price in the U.S.
3) Other than the S80 (no RAW, sadly), are any other Canons worth considering with similar features as the S70? (I used the S70 in P mode with an Inon D2000 strobe, hoping though someday to graduate to Manual.)

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have to offer.

Dave

Sorry about the camera loss. Dave, you're in luck, I have a S70 and housing that I am selling (see the link in my sig)

BTW, I would test your housing again. Maybe it was just a freak accident and something got stuck in the o-ring. Stick some papertowels in it and take it out next time your diving to see if it floods and don't forget to push all the buttons while you're at it.

welcome to the club buddy. i just flodded my Sony P9 few days ago in Tulamben (Bali-Indonesia). and i am going to Komodo (Indonesia) this weekend without any camera. Well anyway is 4 yrs old and it's outdated cause it had only 4mg Pixel. I will wait for a new camera that has double o-rings housing for a better flood prevention.

wow.. that is scary. i just got an s70 and canon housing... i will have to be extremely careful to avoid this from happening.

btw, i got my s70 off ebay for $226. This was like 2 weeks ago. You should still find them if you look. Luck and the fact that the auction ended early morning (allowed me to snipe better) got me that price, but you should be able to get it around ~270.

Goodluck.

btw, Dr, where in curacao did you stay? i was at the breezes resort not to long ago. Only got to do the tugboat though (twice:S).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom