Inon (Z-240) strobe connection with Canon G9 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those with an Inon strobe connected to the Canon Housing (for G9).

I just received the strobe today along with the Clear Photo Set. Several questions:

1. How do I install the Clear Photo Set? I have a number of clear plastic items and 3 dark plastic items. How do these cover the G9 flash? Do the fall out?

2. I have the Universal Optical D Cable. Do I attach this directly to the housing or to the diffuser that sits on the housing lens port?

I ask as I can not find anything in the instructions.

Thanks

Jim G

with regards the Clear Photo System stuff, you should have received a sheet of paper with basic instructions on the "construction". You take one of the sticky bits, place it on a flat surface sticky side up. Take one of the "dark plastic items" and place it squarely over the cutout on the sticky bit. You then use one of the pieces of clear film over the top of the black film (clear should be fractionally larger) to hold the latter in place.

You then just stick this "construction" over the inbuilt flash, and Bob's your uncle (or aunt). I have noticed with the CPS I have (W9 cap set), the sticky bits are not really big enough to securely stick over the flash, as the flash actually sits proud of the camera case (unlike the Olympus cameras for which the system was originally made). If need be, you could use some additional tape to hold the CPS in place, or from what I have read, even use electrical or gaffer tape to block the flash (test this first tho, as personally, I cant see that this would work too well, as tape is too "opaque").

I have the optical cap from an old Oly 5050 setup, and found that although I could attach it to the diffuser (this is what is supposed to happen), unless the inbuilt flash is on full strength, the cable does not reliably register it firing, so does not reliably fire the strobe. I ended up drilling two small holes in the diffuser and physically screwed the cap onto the diffuser close to the lens port and directly in front of the inbuilt flash. All seems to work fine now. Obviously, the closer the cap (and optical cable) is to the internal flash, the more reliably the system works, including the strobe registering the strength of the internal flash when it fires.

A word of warning tho ... if you are looking at using external lenses at some point and get yourself one of the lens adapters to suit this model housing, then you will need to rethink the cap mounting, as the adapter sits over the ridge on the housing where the diffuser sits, effectively rendering the diffuser unusable. Maybe adding a small bracket to the adapter for the cap to screw onto might be a way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom