Canon 50D in a Sea and Sea MDX 40D housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2O Photo Pros

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Today I spent some time testing the new Canon 50D camera to test the fit and functionality in the current MDX-40d Housing.

We are happy to report that the 50D camera fits perfectly in the 40D housing with 100% functionality of all controls.

As of right night, we have not tested the 50D in any other housings but will be doing so in the very near future. However, Sea and Sea is now officially saying that the 50D works in their 40D housing. That means no 4-6 month wait for a new housing!!

Well we had a great day playing with the 50D at Catalina today. I am writing up a report on the camera/housing combo this weekend and will have some pics to go along with it. We came back tonight to look at the photos and ran into one small problem that Andy and I are still investigating. As of right now, either Photoshop nor Lightroom will open the RAW files from the 50D. We receive an error message stating color mode type not supported...so Andy is double checking the files tonight to make sure there was not a setting error, and we are looking to see if there are any reports of a new plug in coming out for Photoshop.

Will keep you posted.

Has any review of the Canon 50D onthe MDX-40D been posted ?
I could not find it and I am very interested on it.
I found a posting in the Japanese site of S&S (babelfish translation to get it into english) that said something about the TTL controls in the Canon TTL III not working with this configuration. Any experience ?
cheers,
EF

EF:

I can't speak specifically to a s&s housing.

The controls are in the same place on the 40D and 50D, so the TTL III controls would be in the same place.

The TTL on the 50D is different than the 40D, so it is likely that the 40D won't control the TTL on the 50D.

I understand Ikelite updated their housing for this issue as well.

Back
Top Bottom