Help with Ports!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knewonder

New
Reaction score
I own a Rebel XSI with the 18-55 mm is lens. I am in the process of buying an ikelite housing for my camera. I am in a bit of a jam when buying the ports.

I am looking at buying a fisheye lens as well as a macro lens for the camera. Any suggestions? I was thinking about a 15mm fisheye and either a 50 or 100mm macro lens.

My problem is how the ports work with each lens. The lens that I currently have can only fit in a 6" dome port (5503.5), no flat port. This dome port would work with the 50mm macro lens, but not with the 15mm fisheye lens. Is there any reason to get a dome port for the 18-55 lens if I will be buying one for the fisheye? And would I have any use for a dome port on the 50mm macro lens?\

Sorry for such annoying questions, but I am confused.

Thanks

Unfortunately most lenses require a slightly different port. Im in a similar situation where i currently have the 18-55 IS kit lens which id like to use but also want to get a sigma 10-20 for wide work. The ikelite site has a list of what ports work with what lenses. You are likely to need a different port for each lens you want to use.

I too have the EOS 450D / XSi. Cant wait to get it wet but there is a LONG lead time for the housing sadly :(

You may consider looking into the newer modular port system. you can get a large dome, extentions and flat ports that can share the same port base. It migh end up being cheaper, but it could introduce more possible failure points.

I'd also take a look at the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye. I have one and it's a sweet little lens. I'm pretty sure it will see more action than my 10-22mm now.

As far as ports go, most lenses will take a different port. It's kind of annoying but that's the way it goes. Even my 10-22 and 10-17 take different port bodies.

I have the XTi and the Ikelite housing. I have the Canon 60mm lens and use the flat port with it. I also have the Tokina 10-17 lens which I love. I, initially got the 6" dome port at Ryans suggestion. I found out that this lens had SERIOUS vignetting issues with that small dome. I have just won an 8" dome from Backscatter. I have not used it yet, but can't wait. It's first trial will be on a trip to PNG for a month this winter. The Dome is one of the modular systems that mount to the camera in a bayonette fashion. Very different than the 6" dome.

Here is the vignetting I was talking about. This dome would work with the kit lens, however.

2634019030_54868675aa_o.jpg

You can do some fun things with the vignetting, but it is a real pain otherwise.

Was grappling with a similar problem. I'm planning to get the Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye lens. What would I need in terms of ports / port bodies? From what I have read it seems that the 5510.45 Ikelite 8" Dome Port with the 5510.10 port body should work.

I'm in Sri Lanka and we don't have any of this available in store here and cant check. Trying to get a friend to bring it from B&H from the US but need to know exactly what to order.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers,

Nishan

Btw, with regard to the 18-55 lens I currently use it on my Canon Rebel XT / D350 with the Ikelite 6" Dome which works well. Its actually quite good for a basic kit lens. Only issue is that corners tend to be a bit soft.

Thanks a lot for all of the replies, they have been very handy in making my selecions. Allison, thank you for the example, I wasn't familiar with the term and didn't know it would come it to play.

For now I have ordered just the 6 inch dome port and will choose a second lens soon and order the new port.

Thanks again guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom