What's the best Macro lens for S90 with Ike housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rudybier

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Canon S90 with an Ike housing, what would be the best Macro lens to add on?

Bearing in mind the S90 doesn't focus too well if you are really close up using macro mode! ie you need to be about 2 inches away before it will focus.

Once you have the added macro lens would you still put macro mode on the camera or do you not need to anymore?

Some macro lenses I see have a 2X magnification, some have 1.4X magnification? What are the best ones to go for? presumably the higher the magnification the better right?

Whats the best brand for these?

Thanks for your help!

Another option is SubSee, depending on how serious you are about macro work. I'm using their new (larger diameter) +5 & +10 (NOT magnification, that is the diopter rating). Quite sharp, no edge fall-off. Main reason I like them is the swing-away adapter. You screw down the easily removeable adapter to the housing, then the SubSee lens (or lenses--I have a dual gate) swings in place or stays out of the way. There is nothing more to attach or drop, lose etc.

It's not necessary to go into macro mode on the camera and focusing w/ my G-10 is quite accurate in AF. If you google SubSee you'll find their website and I also noticed an UW Photography Guide review right below their entry that you might want to check out. I had the old style (smaller diameter) +10 and really appreciate the addition of the +5, it's become my go to close-up lens. // ww

Thanks for the info, I think the Subsee, although looks great, would be too expensive. If I had a Dslr setup then yes this may be the way forward but for a smaller setup with the S90 I think something simpler and cheaper will suffice.

I guess that in a year or so when I want to progress and get the DSLR this may be an option!

Thanks for your help guys, I am getting quotes for the Inon lens!

i have the Inon UCL-165 M67.

Its a good lens. I use it with my G9 & S90.
However sometimes i would like greater magnification, especially for really small stuff.
I think the new subsee +5 has a 67 mm thread so you do not need the expensive swing adapter. If this is the case the inon & subsee will be about the same price.
The subsea +10 may be difficult to use but i am thinking about buying the +5.

I normally use manual focus when i am using UCLs.

Where can I get this subsee lens from? where is it made? US or other?
Thanks

i have the Inon UCL-165 M67.
... However sometimes i would like greater magnification

...The subsea +10 may be difficult to use but i am thinking about buying the +5.

I am probably totally confused on this, but isn't the UCL-165 already 6 diopters? Or would you be stacking the Subsea with the Inon?

I am probably totally confused on this, but isn't the UCL-165 already 6 diopters? Or would you be stacking the Subsea with the Inon?

I think you are correct , the UCL-165 is a +6.

( I need to do more research!!)

Back
Top Bottom