Expanding my Canon G11 and WP-DC34 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaMirth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hello,
i have a canon G11 and WP-DC34 housing.i now wish to expand my camera and in a few days am going to buy the Z-240 strobe,M67 macro lens and adaptor.is this is a wise choice??also im confused about the fibre optics?Does anyone know whether a fibre-optic mounting block and an inon fibre optic mounting plug is required with this housing or is a fibre optic cable simply enough??any suggestions for what adaptor to use with the macro lens??

hello,
thanks for ur reply
but isnt a velcro provision for the fibre optic cable enough??
which strobes do you have??do u have a macro lens?

it is less costly with the cable and also it comes with the Inon fibre optic cable.What do you think?

i am shooting with the g10 and cannon housing i have been looking at the ikelite ds51 with the manual controller... I havent tried it, but it removes the necessity of the fibre optic cable (and i get a good deal through work)... have you looked into this option? do you have any opinons?

i checked it out.Yes it is the substrobe isnt it??it seems good but i dont know much about it.I was recommended to buy the Z-240 or the DS-2000 .Also i read that one may regret not investing in a good strobe so i am opting for this.i think the velcro with the cable will work fine too and it saves u from buying the added plug and mount

I am a BIG TIME noobie to using strobes underwater! :) but am getting much more into my uw photos (its my favorite way to enjoy a dive when i dont have students these days). The recommendation for the ikelite setup came from a photographer friend (though he had never actually used the manual controller) who is happy with his ikelite setup and knows have have a very limited budget (scuba instructor full time = very little extra cash)! This coupled with the fact that my shop sells ikelite has almost sealed the deal for me :)
I was also closely looking at the Inon s2000, and sea and sea options based on other SB posts... I agree that investing in good equipment up front is always a great idea (you may change your camera, but your strobe can be re0used with your new one, right!?) and while ikelite wasnt my personal favorite :D i am having a hard time say no to the price!

I have g11/240z strobe. According to ReefPhoto, a Velcro attachment will not work as well as some sort of stable connector. The 240z and s2000 optical senors reads the on and the off of the camera strobe. The placement of the end of the fiber optic cable needs to be pointing at the camera for the correct sttl adjustments. Normally the strobe only uses the cable to fire the strobe, the inon strobes uses the cable to also shut off the flash.

My buddy has the ikelite manual controller and he had some issues with the strobe not firing due to the position of the controller and some back scatter. Both issues were fixed with some practice.

I like my 240z strobe a lot.

Ok so i finally bought the G11 and Z-240 strobe.Scubamarc-do you have the plug and connector from reefphoto and video.that is from where i got the suggestion as well.but i ultimately bought the velcro strap as the person i bought it from recommended that eevn though the other alterntive was more expensive.also i think the other stable connector would not be necessary for a point and shoot like g11 is it not??the strobe cna function well with that as well.
what do u feel?

Back
Top Bottom