I give up, best macro setup for S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huse0054

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok I apologize in advance I have spent the last 3 hours trying to find macro info on the s90. I am looking at getting the s90 and love macro and my question is:

1. What is the absolute best setup for macro with the s90, housing lenses, and strobes?

2. Where can I see samples of macro photos taken with the s90?

3. Is the s90 the best option for macro in the canon lineup (non DSLR)?

Thanks

The S90 is by far the most suitable Canon Point 'n Shoot for underwater use, but if your strictly a macro guy the G11 is an option due to its closer focus capability. I would still recommend the S90 over it though because of its wide angle wet lens capability. You might not be interested in WA now but to have the option of going so in the future without having to upgrade to a new system is a big plus.

What housing are you using as this can pose a slight issue with having to get certain adapters etc. I am currently waiting for the Subsee 5x diopter, they make a 10x diopter as well. Apparently this is one of the better diopters for macro and super macro. Inon make diopters as well which are readily available, these are stackable for super macro work, from what I can tell though the subsee is better.

Strobe wise, I would go with sea & Sea, Inon or Ikelite you cant go wrong with any of these, one will be fine, 2 will be ideal long term. I picked up some S&S ys90 strobes on Ebay for a great deal.

This website will give great info on all of the above and I use it as a reference all the time. Underwater Photography Guide

Also google Alex Mustard for inspiration on thinking outside the box for lighting ideas.

Hello huse,

Here are some of my shots taken on the S90:

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Lucas 1.JPG
    Lucas 1.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 96
If you have no immediate need for the camera, I would wait for the S95. I imagine, just a guess, that housings will be available by about November.

Am I upgrading, Hades NO!!!!!!!!!!, in fact I am purchasing another S90 to further entrench myself--but--the S95 seems to have all of the advantages the S90 has for underwater photography plus some nice little improvements and the HD video (which I could care less about) and hopefully improved macro capability.

So you can get the best now or a little better in a few more months.

No, the S90 and S95 are not interchangeable in housings, the S95 is actually slightly thinner than the S90 so will require a new housing, the DC-38 OEM and of course, for a CNC mill for FIX a slight program change.

Ikelite should have no problem fitting either and should be able to accommodate the S95 quickly.

James

Thanks for all the input, maybe I should clarify. I am a relative newbie to underwater photo and I have a little bit of a complex of always wanting the best, not necessarily the most expensive but the highest quality to give me the best result (although my skills may be lacking). My wife and I have been using a sony powershot 4mp for years with a sony housing(No strobe) and we have taken some good pictures but not great pictures. And I think it is time to upgrade for these reasons. (let me know if I am off base on any of these)

-After using my canon 40d and lightroom for the last three years on land I absolutely love RAW and think it will help tremendously for underwater pics in post processing.
-We would like a camera with HD video if possible as my wife takes video and creates a fun end of year video highliting the previous years events. Right now she mainly uses her iphone and I think we can do better :)
-I would like to see first hand the difference a strobe or strobes would make in my uw pics.
- I want something small and compact as my 40D and accompanying lenses already take up enough room.
-I would like to get really close shots like supermacro if possible.

I will not need a camera setup until Jan. So I may wait for the S95 (Mainly for the HD video) hopping they will have a housing done by than. Money is not an issue and from what I have read thus-far the FIX housing is the housing of choice.

So...
1. What wet lens diopter would be the best, is the subsea compatible with the FIX housing?
2. Thanks, Nemrod Any idea if FIX will have a new housing for the s95 prior to Jan.
3. One or two strobes for Macro, what do most use, is it that noticeable of a difference to have a second strobe at such a close distance?

sodiumoxide what setup do you have with your s90 to get those pics? Strobe lens?

Thanks and sorry for being long winded.

OP -- Why set on the Canon line? There are other options, including EVIL cameras that might provide you with a better fit -- sort of half-way between the S95 point-n-shoot and a DSLR.

Nemrod -- what do you think -- E-Pl1 with a macro lens/dome port or the S95 in a Fix housing with wet lens?

OP -- Why set on the Canon line? There are other options, including EVIL cameras that might provide you with a better fit -- sort of half-way between the S95 point-n-shoot and a DSLR.

Nemrod -- what do you think -- E-Pl1 with a macro lens/dome port or the S95 in a Fix housing with wet lens?

Peter, hello, I am certainly more than a little impressed with the Oly outfit since handling one for real in GC. My only concern now, and it applies to fisheye/wild angle fans like myself, the Oly ELP-1 has a max DFOV even with the beautiful Zen dome of about 100 degrees DFOV vs 165 degrees DFOV with the FIX90 and UWL-04. That is a deal killer for me, but, not for others, certainly true. For macro and portraits, head and shoulder shots, the Oly has the S90 beat considerably IMO.

Huuse0054, "best" is a relative term, especially in underwater photography, best entails about 12,000 dollars USA. Essentially there is no such thing as best, digital cameras evolve on a 6 month cycle, best today, is yesterday's old junk in a few months, sorry, that is just fact.

When purchasing an underwater camera rig, take a system approach, consider what your interests are, such as macro, general shots, wide angle action shots (me) etc and then consider what camera system gets you as close to that at a price point you can afford. The FIX90 rig I have cost me 4,000 dollars including strobes, trays, lenses, cables, two cameras and the housing and accessories, for me, right now and even next year and the next, it is the BEST, beyond that I am hoping for the new Canon mini dSLR.

And then two dogs attacked me and knocked me off my bicycle and broke my femur and I cannot dive anymore for 6 months or more, now have canceled two trips I had planned and bought tickets for, and my 4,000 dollars camera rig sits there looking at me :(. Life is like a box of chocolates, you just never know --------. Be happy today, tomorrow is for the gods to decide, fate is the hunter.

Best is a bad concept :no:.

James

So...
1. What wet lens diopter would be the best, is the subsea compatible with the FIX housing?
2. Thanks, Nemrod Any idea if FIX will have a new housing for the s95 prior to Jan.
3. One or two strobes for Macro, what do most use, is it that noticeable of a difference to have a second strobe at such a close distance?

1. I would use the Inon UCL165-67mm with the FIX 67mm port kit.

2. My bet is yes but it might be close, but, it is just a bet, CNC programs are easy for the people who do this work, a few changes in the program and done deal, they just need some sample cameras is my bet to get dimensions.

3. You say money is no object, then you need two Inon D/S2000 strobes or equivalent YS types. An external strobe is huge, two is to die for.

Huse0054, why not join us and review the site provided in my sig below, tons of info and a uw photo specific forum, visit the site, it is worth it, trust me.

James

My initial impression is that the "Best" s90 setup for macro is an S90 in the canon housing attached to a DSLR with a real macro lens in a Seacam housing. But that is probably too much $. As Nemrod says, get some strobes, and a good add on lens (subsee, Inon, macromate) in any housing that they fit on.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom