Olympus C5050 vs Canon Digital Rebel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
Any suggestions....I can get an Olympus C5050 for 1200$ (CDN) or a Canon Digital Rebel SLR for 1600$ (CDN). Is the Rebel worth the 400$ extra $$$. What about the housing for the 5050...Olympus PT015 or Light and Motion (is iot worth the price diff.)

Thanks

I think that cannon sells two packages of the Digital Rebel - one with a lens and one without - which are you getting?

Assuming that a housing is available for the Cannon - get that... one of my pet peeves about having a fixed lens is that you are screwed if it get scratched.

Well, it all depends on what you want to do.
The major advantage of SLR/DSLR is the quality of the picture. You also have more choices of what kind of lens you want to use. However, the cost will be significantly higher. For underwater photography, the cost of the camera itself is pretty small in comparison to everything else.
The C5050, you can get Ikelite housing for around $US600 if you don't like the PT015. If you go with SLR camera, housing will be probably $US1500 and up, plus whatever ports you want to use with a specific lens.
Personally I like the C5050, while the picture quality is not as good, it is good enough for me. You also have a more compact package, option to use changable WAL lens underwater so you can shoot whatever you like every dive and does not have to commit yourself to one type of picture once you pick your lens of choice for that dive for the SLR camera.

The 300D is a better camera, for a great price. But the PT housing is so much cheaper than any housing will probably be for the Canon that the price difference is actually fairly large. Estimates are $1300+ for the 300D housing.

I am not sure how suitable the included lens is for UW photography; if you have to get more lenses, the price difference will grow even more.

Back
Top Bottom