Canon G12 and Fisheye Housing Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoe86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok. It's time to consult the experts before I spend even more money. I'm looking at a new camera setup for the wife. Right now I'm considering a Canon G12, the Fisheye housing, with the Ultralight tray and arm setup (quick disconnect grip with a 8" arm and a 5"arm), and plan to continue using her Sea & Sea YS100a strobe with the Fiber optic cable.

Thoughts on this setup? She's not looking for a true professional setup and I'm looking for something lighter and smaller than my Ikelite G9 setup since the wive says it's just too big for her tiny hands. So no dual strobes and I'm not planning on spending money on additional lens right now. I'll leave that for some other occasion.

First off does anyone know how the housing mounts to the tray? I've seen the Ultalight TR-DM and the TR-D trays and I'm not sure it one offers and advantage over the other. Single screw, two screws, is there anything special I need to know to make sure it's mounted correctly. This was the primary failure of her old Sea & Sea housing (single screw into a flimsy metal tripod mount plate) eventually the plastic cracked. But I'm not complaining the thing lasted 5 years and still is great for snorkeling.

Also thoughts on the length of the strobe arms would be helpful. I think the 8" and 5" inch combo gives her some flexibility without being too long to manage. But I'm definitely not a photographer so please chime in. This is still a hobby for us and not an obsession so no need for a DSLR setup with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks

The Fisheye housings have two 1/4 by 20 standard tripod threads on the bottom of the housing.

If you haven't bought the G12 already and you want a smaller setup why not consider the S95? I've been very impressed by it so far and you can't get any smaller than that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom