Canon EOS Digital Rebel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Col_CCC

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just curious on poeples thoughts of this camera. Would it be worth going to a digital slr? Or is a normal smaller digital better. And how about 6.3 mega pixels?

Just some thoughts if you may, thanks.

Chris

Col_CCC once bubbled...
I was just curious on poeples thoughts of this camera. Would it be worth going to a digital slr? Or is a normal smaller digital better. And how about 6.3 mega pixels?

Just some thoughts if you may, thanks.

Chris
My wife has that camera and man does it take nice pictures. She had a kodak 4.0 before this but she wanted something she could interchange the lens on to take pictures far away. She currently has the stock lens and a lens that goes up to 300mm. It has really nice zoom qualites with the 300 lens and she is now saving up for the adjustable 600mm lens for farther away shots.

I checked into a housing for it but she told me it aint hapening :D There is no way she is about to let me take her pride and joy underwater.

Here are a few distance shots she took with it this past weekend.

Is there a housing for this digital Rebel? If so, do you know how much it is? The pics are great! I would like to get rid of the shutter lag issue--how is it for that?

okiediver1 once bubbled...
Is there a housing for this digital Rebel? If so, do you know how much it is? The pics are great! I would like to get rid of the shutter lag issue--how is it for that?
I was told that most of the major camera housing manufacturers will be releasing their housings very shortly. The downside is that the housing costs as much or more than the camera in some cases.

Im no digital camera expert and barely know how to use one. I am not to sure what you mean by "shutter lag" but my wife can actually take photos in rapid succession by holding the button down if thats what you mean. It works great on action shots or waves crashing on the racks as it can take several pictures really fast like.

I am probably gonna use the same camera set up as in your signature line as my wifes camera is way too expensive and complicated for me. Ill probably be way over my head with the 5050 till i learn how to use it :D

The Rebel is a decent little camera and on the low end of the Canon SLR line. There are several housings available for this camera but they are more costly than the camera itself.

While you get more control with a digital one disadvantage is talking shots in succession. You have to wait a few seconds to shoot a second shot and that little critter might be long gone.

Digital is here to stay and so if film. Either way you'll enjoy taking photos down there.

Of course you need a good strobe to go with that housing.

OK,

This one has been bugging me for a while now - you'll have to excuse my ignorance if this really is a stupid question.. As I understand it, an SLR camera is so called because of the single lens reflex, which (in my mind) means that when you look through the viewfinder, you see what the optics see, rather than what (on a non-SLR camera) the viewfinder sees. All well and good?

Underwater I cannot legitimately look through a viewfinder - on my Olympus Digital I look at the screen to take pictures, which is what the camera "sees". So what is the advantage of a digital SLR underwater? I understand that an SLR camera is going to be aimed more towards enthusiastic amateurs and professionals, thus having better optics and therefore generally capable of taking better pictures, but what specifically does an SLR camera offer me underwater?

Dave, who cannot possibly afford another camera anytime soon anyway, and therefore has no real need to ask this question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom