Wide Angle wet lens for Canon G11/G12 with Canon housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlMitch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the G11 with the Canon housing and so far its been treating me really well. I recently got an adapter and macro lens and am loving it!
Now I'm really wishing I can get something for Wide Angle.
Are there any wide angle lenses that will be suitable for the G11??
More importantly are there any adapters that will fit onto the Canon housing and then take a WA lens??

Thanks a million for any help!

I have had good luck with the Canon housing and the Fantasea BigEye:

IMG_3498.jpg

The big eye is not a wide angle lens is just a dome port that will restore the original field of view of the camera underwate that can bring max 75 degrees diagonal

However Dyron Adapter M67 for Canon WP-DC28/34/42 | DyronStore | Underwater accessories produces a 67mm adapter for the canon housing that allows use of real wide angle lenses such as Inon UWL-H100M28 for example, this lens brings 100 degrees underwater

The inon lens can also mount an optional dome port to bring the total field of view to 145 degrees alternatively you have a good solution with an Epoque DCL-30 that gives 112 degrees

The fantasea solution is rather cheap at $235 the Dyron+Epoque set up goes around 455$ and the Inon starts at $580 without dome

Ultimately you really want to get to a point you have a fisheye so the Inon albeit extremely expensive will take you there in time

The epoque set up gives as much as you can get with a flat lens and the fantasea is low cost but 75 degrees is really only good for video in my opinion

Interceptor, I have the dyron adapter but will it be able to support the bulk of the WA lens?? My local underwater photo shop recons not. BUT the adapter is really stiff so if others have managed then possibly it's OK. Have you or anyone else tried this??

The other more important issue I see is that with the adapter when it is paired with the macro lens you need to zoom in slightly or else you can see the adapter in your shot. SO when I have the WA lens on the minute I zoom in I loose my wide angle. SO will I be getting the 100mm of WA??

AlMitch you are correct, in fact in my post I said that you need a buoyancy float around the lens as in water is around 370 grams and that seems too much. I have got myself a STIX buoyancy float belt that will go around the lens and make it near to neutral in water, of course you should never get in the water with the lens already screwed in.
The UWLH-100M28 is designed for 28mm equivalent lens as the Epoque DCL-30 so should not vignette at all. If you instead you use the UWL-100 for the 35mm equivalent it will vignette. The best thing is to go to the shop and try it out, consider that small vignetting in air will be removed once you go in water
What macro lens have you got?

Thanks Hawk. How sturdy/ well made are the bungee cords and hooks that attached the big eye to the housing? You think it will last?
The other problem with it is that you can only use this on the G11/G12 canon housing so if you have get a new housing/ camera you have to toss this away.
I'm glad you are enjoying it. It certainly is the quickest, easiest and cheapest solution.

Generally speaking: can you use 67 mm wide angle lenses with G12 in WP-DC34 housing, which produce GOOD, SHARP images (no soft edges etc.)? I'm thinking of getting one, but don't want to spend hundreds of euros for nothing. :)

If this is possible, what are my options? So far I've found some:
- Inon UWL-100 Achromat Wide Conversion lens Type 1/Type 2 (with/without dome)
- Inon UWL-100 28M67 Wide Conversion Lens Type1/Type2 (with/without dome)
- Epoque ECL30-67DR Wide Angle Lens (dome available?)
- some Fix Fisheye products

Can I use 67 mm threaded wide angle lenses later, if I decide to upgrade to DSLR?

Is a mount base attachment enough to hold the lens in place (I currently have one from Deeproof) i.e. how much buoyancy does one of those STIX float belts add?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom