Canon Digital Rebel vs. ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly N Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok here's my situation, i am being given a camera and housing for my 16th birthday. i like the digital rebel because at any price i want a camera that feels good on land and uw. The only problem is that it does not have a housing OUT yet. although the ikelite one is coming soon to a store near you. i have also been hearing that the digital rebel does not allow for ttl so you need a manual strobe.
I know that some will say go for the C-5050 with the pt015, but i dont like how the camera fits in my hand above water.

price is not a great issue, but it cant be huge.
please help me pickout a camera!!!

Also be aware that the housing costs as much as the camera. I checked into a housing for my wifes digital rebel but couldnt handle the price of the housing. I purchased a olympus PT-015 housing through newegg for 134.00 and made a huge mistake of bidding and paying for a new C5050 from ebay that is looking like me and about 75 other people got seriously screwed as i doubt we will see our cameras. Im keeping my fingers crossed it works out or my digital camera days will be on hold for a while.

lal7176,

Sorry you got taken on EBay. If you don't mind, can you give us the pertinent details -- maybe on another thread -- so we can avoid a similar scam? I'm thinking about a 5050 online too.

Fly N Dive, enjoy your bday and present. I got a car for my 16th bday (OK, a hand me down 76 Mustang), but if I could do it all over again I'd ask for a nice camera instead.

Don't forget lens and all the ports you would need with Digital Rebel as well. The Rebel with Ikelite housing will run about $2000 give or take a bit but don't forget to ask for tele/wide angle lens and all the ports that you would need as well as these will add significant cost to your set up as well. At right around $2000 price point for housing/camera, you might also want to look for Sony F828 (around $1200 retail for the camera I believe), no one has announced housing for it yet but I would not be surprise if Ikelite is working on one. With the Sony, there is no other added cost beside a strobe but I am not sure if it will be compatible with wet lens (those various 67mm lens used in the Oly point and shoot etc). Or else, Oly 5050 or Oly5060 is probably going to be better if you don't want to spend a lot more on accessory beside the camera/housing.

Thanks for the info. i wish the Sony F828 was out now so i could look at it, although having a housing soon might not happen.

About the C-5050, i dont like how it is shaped and is very annoying for me to hold on the surface. this is what is causing me to lean away from that camera.
thanks.

I've been eagerly awaiting the Sony F828 but it seems to be getting released later than originally forecast, which I suspect is last minute design or production problems. I've been tempering my expectations about this camera. Until I read reviews that say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, my expectation will be for higher than average noise levels for a camera with this resolution. If you have the option of getting the Digital Rebel, I'd say go for it, but as you've already been told, housing and lenses will increase the cost dramatically. Oh, by the way the F828 will be in the $900-1000 price range. It's already being offered for pre-order in a lot of places (like Amazon).

I'd also recommend you against TTL -- go for manual controller. TTL doesn't work in many situations. You might think the convenience is worth it, but once you've been taking pictures for any length of time you'll appreciate having the ability to set the strobe output level yourself.

marpacifica once bubbled...
lal7176,

Sorry you got taken on EBay. If you don't mind, can you give us the pertinent details -- maybe on another thread -- so we can avoid a similar scam? I'm thinking about a 5050 online too.

Fly N Dive, enjoy your bday and present. I got a car for my 16th bday (OK, a hand me down 76 Mustang), but if I could do it all over again I'd ask for a nice camera instead.
Here ya go :D

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=448987#post448987

Also is there a difference between the digital rebel and the 300d?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom