Canon G12 Cases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacoRocco6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had been using an OEM Canon WP-DC34 case for my G12 with great success but unfortunately the case was recently lost by an airline while traveling. Luckily, the Camera itself was in a different bag.

Finding a replacement has been difficult. It seems that Canon has stopped producing the case and the OEM Cases are going for ridiculous prices (sometimes $400 a case). I've noticed that there are aftermarket cases made by Polaroid and CameraPlus for $100-$150. Has anyone tried out any of these cases? Any noticeable difference from the Canon case?

Thanks in advance.

Had been using an OEM Canon WP-DC34 case for my G12 with great success but unfortunately the case was recently lost by an airline while traveling. Luckily, the Camera itself was in a different bag.

Finding a replacement has been difficult. It seems that Canon has stopped producing the case and the OEM Cases are going for ridiculous prices (sometimes $400 a case). I've noticed that there are aftermarket cases made by Polaroid and CameraPlus for $100-$150. Has anyone tried out any of these cases? Any noticeable difference from the Canon case?

Thanks in advance.

Of course you've checked ebay ? MK WP DC34 40M Underwater Waterproof Housing Case for Canon PowerShot G11 G12 | eBay

That's an aftermarket case. Can't seem to find a decent OEM Case on eBay either.

It will be difficult to find a new housing these days since the G12 is no longer produced. You maybe able to find a new Recsea housing at one of the online dealers, you may even need to look over seas like in Asia. I would not suggest this so much in the Asian market for the OEM canon housing as I have seen the knockoffs passed for the OEM housing in a Canon marked box with all the Canon marked manuals, but it is not an OEM housing and Gould be avoided. There are a few of the "aftermarket" housings out there but I do not personally trust them as I had bad expeience in the past with these and seen flooded housings due to the MFG.

I mi have purchased used housings and have had no issues, but you should always check the housing U/W without the camera inside. With that said EBay or Amazon will be your best option to find a housing which will most likely be used.

The other option sell your G12 and upgrade, then you can find a new housing easily.

I take it you do not want to spend in the area of $400. for a new Canon housing. They are on Amazon.com for $385 which is also too high.

I have a G12 and a Canon housing. If I was in your position I would buy the Chinese knockoff on eBay for $105.39.

Leaning towards doing that. They look almost identical except for a few cosmetic changes and the buckle being a different design. Wish someone had any experience with the Polaroid or other clone version.

Hve you looked for a Fix or Ikelite? They are far better than the Canon. The Fix is built like a tank, but only fiberoptic strobes, the Ike has hardwired strobe option, but limited wideangle.

Back
Top Bottom