upgrading from G12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I am planning to upgrade my G12 within this year or so. I am not sure which camera should i go with.

I had done some research on the G7x, wasn't impressed by the auto focus when it is in video mode. looks like when you have already focus onto the subject, it will not track it like the 70D.

Would love to have the function of auto focus with i am doing a video. if it can't, I would be staying with my G12. as it is able to perform great on just photos.

Any advise? Is there any compact has the ability to AF when videoing like the 70D?

bump. i too have a g12 with an interest in upgrading. have similar concerns about video capability, and was looking at the g16. any advice for op?

I'm getting ready to upgrade my S95---want to stay with same tray, handles, strobes, WA lens & macro lens. etc etc....Looking REAL seriously @ the Sony Rx 100-2.....

I used to shoot news video for tv stations so I'm not really interested in shooting video now that I've retired. That said I bought a G7x mostly for shooting stills uw. Some of the reviews said that the Sony RX100-2 was what to get for video. I have not yet shot any video with the Canon, but the follow focus works mostly when shooting stills and I expect it would when shooting video as well. I did notice that AF gets confused if you are too close......The G7x has touchscreen focusing and that should be good for pulling focus, etc.--never used that either since I am mostly UW and the screen is not accessible--that's one for the next housing. G 15 is available from CanonUSA refurb site for $250. with a 1 year warranty--a decent buy. It was $198. after last Christmas and I hope to buy one when it goes down again. Autofocus just keeps getting better in my view, my Canon S95 was very good 5 years ago, not so fast compared to the G7x of today. DPReview felt that the autofocus was slow--not compared to what I'm used to--S95. I would expect to find that the G7x autofocus is more accurate and faster than the G12. I look forward to the chance to compare my "3" Canon compact cams!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom