First Underwater Pictures w/Canon A85

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUDA_Rick

Registered
Reaction score
I just returned from an eleven day vacation in Bonaire and have posted some pictures from my first attempt at underwater photography. I'm using a Canon A85 with Canon underwater housing, no external strobe.

My thanks to many of you who have posted on this site as I'm sure your tips resulted in much better first time results than if I had been on my own. Where I was able to use manual mode I seemed to get the best results. I did, however, use the automatic underwater mode quite a bit for quick snapshots that I did not want to miss and was unable to capture in manual mode due to distance, moving subject, flash limitation, etc.

Unfortunately, I was unable to download and review my pictures until I returned home and many of the shots that I thought were great didn't turn out so good when viewed on the computer monitor. I have a lot of ideas for improvements next time. One thing for sure; I'm hooked on underwater photography and can't wait to get back in the water with my camera.

I think my biggest problem so far is not slowing down enough to really plan and execute my shots. I was diving with three other divers and was a bit worried that I was slowing them down, so many of my pictures were rushed.

I also had some problems getting still enough. Many of the pictures were taken in relatively shallow water with some surge and it was tough to get stationary. I also think I was drifting a bit between the pre focus and the shot, resulting in some blurred images. Going to have to continue to work on my breath control and buoyancy and learn how to stabilize quickly when I am preparing for a picture. I really thought I was mastering buoyancy control until I started trying to take pictures. Now I realize that I still have some work to do. I did manage to stay off the reef and coral so I'm pleased that my buoyancy just affected my pictures and I didn't damage the environment.

Thanks again for those of you who have posted advice on this board. Please take a look at my pictures and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Richard

Nice!

The A85 is being replaced I think by the A510/A520, right? If so, I hope to take pictures as good as these (despite your protestations of wanting to improve). I just put in an order for the A520 and housing to take on my upcoming trip in July....

Anyway, nice work!!!

RTRski

Nice shots. I'm jealous of the viz. Thanks for sharing.

CUDA_Rick:
Unfortunately, I was unable to download and review my pictures until I returned home and many of the shots that I thought were great didn't turn out so good when viewed on the computer monitor.
Don't despair, there's always PhotoChop

Please post a link to your photos so we don't have to search for them!! They're too good to hide!

Glad to hear you had a great time! It's all about practice - we all get better the more we shoot...and it just means we all have to plan more diving :D

IMHO carrying a laptop, while a PITA, is invaluable when you are shooting digital for just the reason you mention: it might look good on the tiny monitor, but when you see it full sized it might not be.

Glad you are hooked - see you in the shopping district!!!!

Wow!! You've gotta be happy with those!

You have some fabulous shots in there...that anemone with the shrimp is beautiful! Well done!!

I'm impressed that this is your first outing with this camera. Not only do you have some great shots, but you have a great range of shots, too.

Can't wait for you to go diving some more!

I have to go with what others have said....they ARE very nice shots. I've just got my housing but have yet to try it underwater, if I can get half as many good pics as you I'll be happy!

Well done Rick! Very good results from your first attempts. Bodes well for the future and I look forward to seeing more!

I just ordered an A95 ($260 w/shipping from MP) and a WP-DC50 ($166w/ship from Upgrade Source) and am planning to dive with it over the next couple of months in preperation for our trip to Maui.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom