Dry tortugas Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Jackson1

Reaction score
# of dives
A few uf us are thinking about doing the 3 day liveaboard to the Dry Tortugas next summer. I was wondering how the trip was that people took over thanksgiving. Was it fun? Would you do it again? Anyone else ever done the trip?

there was a trip over Thanksgiving - you can read peoples comments in the "South FL" section..it was fun - the 2 main things that came out of the discussion
- go on either a hunting OR sightseeing/photo trip - don't mix them (or you'll not get the best dive site for either)
- wait until winter is done (you're more likely to get more dives in / less wind in the summer months - but it is not guaranteed !)

stu_in_fl:
- go on either a hunting OR sightseeing/photo trip - don't mix them (or you'll not get the best dive site for either)

Actually that's something you need to check into before booking an Ultimate Getaway trip. To see if it's a 1.) Spearfishing trip, 2) Reef trip (in the park) or 3.) a "Mixed" trip.

Trips on that boat are either whole charter by a group or shop or run as individual bookings by the captain. If it's a group charter, then the group decides the format of the trip. However, the captain has a tendency sometimes to book the trips he runs sold to individuals as "mixed" trips without really advertising them that way. So there have been reports of divers showing up for a reef trip in the Tortugas Park (where spear fishing is not allowed) only to see other divers loading spear guns on board. They might spend one day in the park but the rest of it spear fishing. Either way, mixing them you'll end up with half the divers not happy regardless of where you go.

Just FYI.... Hope you have a good trip.

mike

mike_s:
Actually that's something you need to check into before booking an Ultimate Getaway trip. To see if it's a 1.) Spearfishing trip, 2) Reef trip (in the park) or 3.) a "Mixed" trip.

Trips on that boat are either whole charter by a group or shop or run as individual bookings by the captain. If it's a group charter, then the group decides the format of the trip. However, the captain has a tendency sometimes to book the trips he runs sold to individuals as "mixed" trips without really advertising them that way. So there have been reports of divers showing up for a reef trip in the Tortugas Park (where spear fishing is not allowed) only to see other divers loading spear guns on board. They might spend one day in the park but the rest of it spear fishing. Either way, mixing them you'll end up with half the divers not happy regardless of where you go.

Just FYI.... Hope you have a good trip.

mike

That's great info. DH and I would love to try this sometime, so I'll keep that in mind. We're reef folks, for sure...

I would certainly be intersted, I'd love to see someone post a link regarding this.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom