Service Club Park - Artificial reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dove Service Club Park (FL West told me I should give a try when I was getting my tank refilled) and had a question on something (wreck or artificial reef?) I saw.

How I got there - I swam on the surface due West from the beach broad walk. When I reach the end of the pier and dropped down (I think the depth was ~15ft). I then swam underwater (due West) past the first reef till I reached a depth of 19ft and then went over another sand bar which topped out at ~16ft and then went down the sand bar till I hit a max depth of 23ft. I swam underwater for about 20 minutes from the time I dropped down at the end of the pier.

I realized I probably swam out too far and headed in. While I was heading in (still around 23ft depth) I came across some large structures which were scattered around the bottom. I would estimate the pieces were 6-8 ft high and 10-20 foot long. Anyone else see this and what was it. They appeared to be cement but could have been just encrusted. Unfortunately I did not have time to explore it.

FYI – found nothing but small teeth.

Must have been what it was - Thanks Walter

Yes, they are concrete culverts. I've actually been out to them a few times. I saw my first jewfish in one of them. It's been a few years(2-3) since I've been out to them, but some of them actually are quite large and big enough to swim through, and come close to the surfice(5ft). There are some teeth around them, but most teeth are further in towards shore.

purduepete007:
Yes, they are concrete culverts. I've actually been out to them a few times. I saw my first jewfish in one of them. It's been a few years(2-3) since I've been out to them, but some of them actually are quite large and big enough to swim through, and come close to the surfice(5ft). There are some teeth around them, but most teeth are further in towards shore.

The megs are way beyond them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom