Anyone interested in diving in SRQ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueWaterBrad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been meaning to post this. From what I hear Sarasota reefs are pretty damn good. There are lots to choose from. www.reefball.com/map/sarasotareefbrochure/reef.pdf
There are many in the bay between 10' -15'. Viz isn't the greatest due to the shallow water and slit. Gone a couple of times: Once with tank and once snorkeling. Both times viz around 3'-4'.
The gulf has more variety. I have logged 90% of my dives at one particulate spot. It's called Lynn Silvertooth. I did my checkout dives there. Remember I'm still a partial newbie.
When they reconstructed the Ringling causeway (the bridge going from downtown SRQ to St. Armand’s circle) they took all the old bridge decks and placed them out in the water. It's the same type of concrete road like the Gandy. Most of them stand upright (flat). If you stand in the middle of one you feel as if you're on the road. Lots of ledges. Hidden nooks. The site is 1.8 miles off the Lido Key beach. Boat access. 34' of water. This site is HUGE, almost 2 million sq. ft. (50 acres). Tons of life: BIG Jewfish, Hog, crab, Nurse, too many to list.
If anyone wants to plan a trip. I have boat. Can probably accommodate 3 no problem, 4-5, I lose room for gear.
The haven’t been to the other sites, YET. I’ve heard that M8 is a good dive. Old army tanks and only 65’ of water. They’ve improved many of the sites linking reef balls in a circle to each tank.

I'm definitely keen. :)

So would I...

-J.-

Hey Brad - you're the one MissD picked up Saturday, right :)

See - told you you'd be "that guy!"

Sounded like fun to me - you have a date in mind?

Sounds good to me!

I've been meaning to post this. From what I hear Sarasota reefs are pretty damn good. There are lots to choose from. www.reefball.com/map/sarasotareefbrochure/reef.pdf
There are many in the bay between 10' -15'. Viz isn't the greatest due to the shallow water and slit. Gone a couple of times: Once with tank and once snorkeling. Both times viz around 3'-4'.
The gulf has more variety. I have logged 90% of my dives at one particulate spot. It's called Lynn Silvertooth. I did my checkout dives there. Remember I'm still a partial newbie.
When they reconstructed the Ringling causeway (the bridge going from downtown SRQ to St. Armand’s circle) they took all the old bridge decks and placed them out in the water. It's the same type of concrete road like the Gandy. Most of them stand upright (flat). If you stand in the middle of one you feel as if you're on the road. Lots of ledges. Hidden nooks. The site is 1.8 miles off the Lido Key beach. Boat access. 34' of water. This site is HUGE, almost 2 million sq. ft. (50 acres). Tons of life: BIG Jewfish, Hog, crab, Nurse, too many to list.
If anyone wants to plan a trip. I have boat. Can probably accommodate 3 no problem, 4-5, I lose room for gear.
The haven’t been to the other sites, YET. I’ve heard that M8 is a good dive. Old army tanks and only 65’ of water. They’ve improved many of the sites linking reef balls in a circle to each tank.

Sounds good to me to. Maybe I can join you. Bob will be working with me on the 8th to help me with the weight issue from last week. But if you don't mind I would like to join you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom