Hudson Grotto >> Nov 1/2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loquat149

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone up for a plunge in the Grotto this weekend? I'd like to make at least one dive along the deep line (no deco) and perhaps another along the shallow periphery.

Dave

Dave if you want to deep dive in a spring why dont you go to Eagles Nest or Beauford? The visibility will be MUCH better and you can get as deep as you want! I did both of these dives last weekend when the gulf weather was rough. Had an awesome time.

Dave if you want to deep dive in a spring why dont you go to Eagles Nest or Beauford? The visibility will be MUCH better and you can get as deep as you want! I did both of these dives last weekend when the gulf weather was rough. Had an awesome time.

William,
I was at Eagles Nest on Saturday afternoon with my wife...were you one of the two guys that showed up around 1 or 2 pm in wetsuits having just dove Buford? Well, I'm definitely up for doing the cavern at the Nest this weekend...just didn't think I'd get any takers on Scubaboard. Buford's cool too, although I thought it prudent to avoid that area during hunting season. Anyway, I'm up for whatever this weekend and don't necessarily need to go very deep--although, if it's the Grotto I think I've seen enough of the 30 and 60' lines.

Dave

Yes, that was me at EN on Saturday. I was the younger of the two divers. I wont be able to make a dive with you this weekend. I have group Epcot trip scheduled and a few late night Halloween parties to attend.:reaper:

My dive buddy III was interested in diving these spots when I talked to him last weekend. You just never know who might want to do them. Just be carefull who you take along, this is a dangerous environment for diving.

If he doesnt respond to this thread I will PM him to see if he wants to dive there.

Anyone up for a plunge in the Grotto this weekend? I'd like to make at least one dive along the deep line (no deco) and perhaps another along the shallow periphery.

Dave

I'm up for Hudson .... I live about 20 minutes from there.

Bruce

Where are "Eagles Nest" and "Buford?" And are these cave dives, or can mere mortals play as well?

They are in the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area, north of Weekie Wachie. At a minimum you'd need to be cavern certified. Buford is mostly cavern, Eagles Nest is mostly deep, I say DEEP, cave. Buford requires a moderate hike through some soggy swamp which, when carrying dive gear, is usually fairly strenuous. Both are periodically inhabited by alligators and rattlesnakes, but I've never heard of anyone suffering an actual bite. But hey, the entrance fee is only $3.00.

Dave

Both of these dives have overhead environments and are extremely deep. You must be an experienced deep diver with cavern experience MINIMUM. You should also go with a diver who has made these dives before. Divers have died here.

If you arent physically able to carry your gear for 20 minutes through a swamp with mud up to your butt, cypress stumps,logs,and hunters in the woods (both natural and human) dont even bother trying to find Beauford. Its too TOUGH.

Dave

I'd be happy to join you Sunday for a dive along the lines.Are you Nitrox Certified? I've only done about half the lines and I'm interested in seeing the rest of it.As for Buford,rather wait for the end of hunting season,I think it was February the last time I was there and the swamp wasn't to bad and no skeeters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom