Newb looking for buddy for gear checkout dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USFpsychDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently certified, with half-a-dozen post-certification dives (resort). Liked it enough to collect my own gear (still have the exposure suit to go, but I'm going to the LDS to get that when I get back to Tampa in a couple of weeks). I need to start getting that gear wet, and I thought I'd check here to see if there's someone in a similar situation who might like to buddy up for a few dives, fresh or salt, to get our gear dialed in. I'd rather find someone else in the same situation than end up being someone's surprise beginner buddy on a dive-shop charter. I'm happy to go out on a charter, or we could drive up to a spring. I'm looking at the weekend of August 20/21, either or both days.

Hi USFpsychDiver.

There are a few of us here at USF as well.

When diving with new buddies (new to me or new in the hobby/obsession), I like to dive in a controlled, fresh water environment like Hudson Grotto or Rainbow river. That way people can get used to their gear and each other before trying something more adventurous.

I got a couple of other buddies so if we get a group together sometime, I'll post up.

How were your resort dives? Details/pics?

Hi Schudini,

USF does do training; I'd do my AOW there except it's over Thanksgiving weekend and I don't think the family would understand my going diving in the Keys instead of eating turkey.

Dove Hudson on a certification dive -- not at the top of my list for the next one. Rainbow River sounds interesting and Blue Grotto and Devil's Den are on the list.

The trip was to the Club Med on Columbus Isle. Never been to an all-inclusive resort before -- not really my style -- but it was pretty nice and the diving was great! Beautiful walls, a short swim-through (guided), lobsters, a turtle, several reef shark, two hammerhead, and of course all the coral and fish. No two dives to the same location, so good variety. No underwater pics; followed advice to not task load and just enjoy the scenery, and I did.

Thanks for the reply and if something comes up, let me know.

The trip was to the Club Med on Columbus Isle. Never been to an all-inclusive resort before -- not really my style -- but it was pretty nice and the diving was great! Beautiful walls, a short swim-through (guided), lobsters, a turtle, several reef shark, two hammerhead, and of course all the coral and fish. No two dives to the same location, so good variety. No underwater pics; followed advice to not task load and just enjoy the scenery, and I did.

Sounds like fun. And that is good advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom