What do you carry / transport your rig in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm finally housing up my D70.

I shot a 5050 for a long time. Carrying that around was easy. I've been shooting wifie's little SOny P&S for the last year. That's even easier to get around.

What are you folks with D70 housings, ports, domes, arms, strobes, chargers, etc. using to transport your rig to the boat / dive site?

* Pelican?

* LowePro?

* Wheelbarrow?

* Brinks truck?

Lemmie know what's worked / works, and what you bailed on to get to your current situation. It would really assist me.

Thanks

---
Ken

Ken, I went with a Lowepro Pro Roller 2 (http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Rolling_Cases/classic/Pro_Roller_2.aspx) .

It is a hard sided case that looks just like a regular roller suitcase. I just cut off the Lowepro logo and I was good to go. The case has velcro dividers that I've arranged so that it holds the housing, strobes, lenses, chargers, and arms in the various compartments.

lowepro-01.jpg

You can transport the camera in the housing (but take off the port o-ring if you are flying with it). The case is wide enough and deep enough to hold the Ike D70 housing just right. Two strobes with arms and chargers fit in the side compartments. Extra lenses on the small compartments on the end, and cables and such in the middele. Problem is, it does not have enough room for a 2nd dome port and will currently only fit with a 6" dome. If you have an 8" dome (which I don't), you'll have to work something else out. I opted for this as I wanted something that looked somewhat inconspicuous.

I usually travel with a big Stormcase (same as Pelican but cheaper) for my housing, ports, strobes and enough space left for regulator and bits and pieces. Camera, lenses,dive com, batteries etc go in my Lowepro backpack.

For trips from house to car to boat, I use a milk crate for my new dslr set up. Holds all I need to get wet camera-wise, is very sturdy, drains, is easy to spray down to keep wet until we get back and fits perfectly under the dive bench!

When I need to take other lenses/ports etc I will take my Canon backpack - lots of padding, lots of configurable spaces, lots of pockets.

A mate uses an esky - great for protection, can be filled with water, takes more stuff, fits gear snugly, keeps an even temperature, doubles as an extra seat...

From darkroom to dive location, I use surplus Hardigg cases. Tougher and lighter than Pelican, cheap on eBay, water and air tight.

For the "last mile", onto the dive boat, I use a 24 x 16 x 12 Tupperware bin without the lid. Throw a thin piece of foam in the bottom, and the bin slides perfectly under the bench of most dive boats, so my gear has a safe place to stay if there's no camera table.

All the best, James

Depends. When I am going on a day trip, I rig everything up ahead of time and se tit in the "hopefully" empty extra car seat. If not on top of the rest of the gear on something soft, like an extra towel.

When I am going, I now have a Stormcase that fits under an airline seat, but with wheels. By the timeI add twn strobes and all the lenses, it is pretty full.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom