What lenses for D90??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SilentWater

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a Nikon D90, and I see that you can get them with different lens configurations. I know that I could just buy the ones I need as I go, but would like a couple good ones to start with, that would work just as well underwater as topside. I'm new to the DSLR world (other than using a friends D50 on occasion). Any experience, or suggestions as to what would be a good place to start would help. I'll take any advice or information. Thanks
-Ryan

I'm looking at getting a Nikon D90, and I see that you can get them with different lens configurations. I know that I could just buy the ones I need as I go, but would like a couple good ones to start with, that would work just as well underwater as topside. I'm new to the DSLR world (other than using a friends D50 on occasion). Any experience, or suggestions as to what would be a good place to start would help. I'll take any advice or information. Thanks
-Ryan

Hi Ryan.

I recommend the 60mm Macro (i prefer the AF-D Nikon 60mm AF-D Micro) and the Tokina 10-17mm as the first two lenses for you underwater. The 60mm Macro is also a great lens topside for portraits and the Tokina can produce so interesting shots. Another lens to look at is the 105mm Macro (Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR). Some people prefer this lens over the 60mm. It often comes down to where your shooting and how close you cam get to the subject.

I receommend the Nikkor 18-200 Vr lens (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm) as great choice for topside. Does about everything except if you like to go wideangle or telephoto more than 200mm. If your on a budget and dont mind two lenses instead only just one the Nikkor 18-55 and 55-200 are great inexpensive lenses and normally these lens come out in a camera kit.

Hope this helps

Regards Aussie

I receommend the Nikkor 18-200 Vr lens (Nikon 18-200mm) as great choice for topside. Does about everything except if you like to go wideangle or telephoto more than 200mm.

the Nikon 18-200mm VR is sweet.... I really like it. I got one for my father a while back and have used it some.

I replaced his 18-55mm and 55-200mm with one lens.

the only thing I'll say that is not great about it is that it does get a little heavy compared to the 18-55mm over a "long day".

sometimes for inside shooting or anything you don't need a "big zoom" on it's nice to swap back to the 18-55mm just because it's lighter.

You also might notice a small amount of "shading" at the bottom of the pic if using the internal flash when zoomed back to the 18mm setting. This is because the lens is a little longer than the normal lens. not a big deal and it doesn't always happen, but can...

If your on a budget and dont mind two lenses instead only just one the Nikkor 18-55 and 55-200 are great inexpensive lenses and normally these lens come out in a camera kit.

These are great lens, but will just leave you "wanting" for more. with the 18-55mm on you'll "zoom out" and all the sudden hit a "stop" and get tired of it. (when outside shooting). You'll want more "zoom".

You'll get tired of having to swap those lens back and forth.

getting the 18-105mm (regular or VR) or the 18-135mm or the 18-200mm will make you much happier.

I've gotten where I keep my 18-135mm on the camera most of the time now... but if I was buying the new D90 with the new 18-105mm VR, I'd prob use that. (I don't really see much difference in the 105mm setting and the 135mm setting on the lens. FYI).

Combine the 18-105mm or the 18-135mm with the 70-300mm is a better choice. (of course it's a lot more $$$ also)

Hope that's helpfull.

I agree with Byrong 100%. The first two lenses I would buy are the 60mm Macro as its more versatile than the 105mm. The 2nd lens would be the Tokina 10-17mm FE as it makes for some great underwater photos of both wide angle scenery and friends.

If you are planning on getting it as a kit and there is a discount on the lens combo, go for the kit with the 18-105VR & 70-300VR. That will give you the widest overlap and latitude on either side. The 18-55/55-200 combo is cheaper, but you'll be changing lenses all the time unless you do mostly portraits and change over for wildlife shots. The 70-300 will give you a 450mm equivalent at 35mm with VR, so you can get those whale and dolphin shots without worrying about a tripod. Otherwise, if there's no discount, I really like my 18-200 as well and I've seen it offered as a kit with the D90 (B&H, I think, or it might have been Adorama). I've got the 18-200VR, the 60AF-D, a Tokina 400mm manual focus prime and a 35mm f2.0 AF that I don't use much. The latter two were e-bay purchases. There are lots of Nikon lenses there, but I don't recommend it. They're typically about 75% of what you'd pay for a brand new one by the time you're done and you don't get the Nikon USA 3 year warranty. Sometimes for older, obscure stuff it works though. I paid $100 for my 400 prime and though it doesn't have the contrast of a Nikkor, it focuses really well and I've used it quite a bit.

getting the D90 kit with the 18-105vr is a great deal. i just got one less than a month ago. the 18-105vr is a very good walk-around lens one you won't have to remove it from the body much; less likely to get dust on your sensor. the 18-200vr of course is a very good lens albeit pricey.

as far as special lenses are concerned i agree with the other posters on 60mm & probably a fisheye.

Popular question if you do some searches you will find a lot of info on this subject.

Others have nailed it.
Nikon 60mm (Macro Under Water)
Tokina 10-17mm (Wide Angle, will need good strobes for best results underwater)
Sigma 17-70mm HSM or Nikon 17-55mm (don't know what you will see underwater lenses)
Nikon 105mm (Great macro lens for more shy creatures or if you want to shoot Super Macro)
Nikon 18-200mm (Strictly Dry land)
Nikon 70-200mm (Pricey but if you shoot animals or sports great lens. Most Pros would say must have)

Thanks to everybody for the input. I've been searching a little deeper, and looking into different cameras as well as lenses. I'm pretty set on staying with Nikon since I've already got 3 lenses that I can use from time to time. But, have been looking at a
D300 and comparing it to the D90. If anyone has any experience with these two underwater and could spare any info I'd appreciate it. I know i saw someone discussing this at one point. I'll look around and start a new thread if i need to.

one last possible lens, Popular Photography magazine has a review in the January 2009 issue of the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 di II VC AF (on page 100).

It's "street price" is $600, which is comparable to the cost of the Nikor 18-200mm VR

It gave a good review of it. You get a lot more reach with one lens up to 270mm.

It's not perfect, but any lens trying to cover that range is not going to be perfect.

I don't know anyone that has this lens yet, but might be something to consider.

I also have a d90. For underwater use, a nikon 14mm and their 60mm would be a your best bet. For land use, you can also use the 14mm and a 180mm. These three lenses are my work horses when i go on trips. Im not a big fan of zoom lenses. telephoto lenses in my opinion provides better quality.

Back
Top Bottom