Reviews on a Nikon coolpix underwater housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I am looking for some information on an underwater housing for my "cheap" camera. I have the Nikon D50 that I would love to get a housing for but budget does not allow it. Therefore, I am looking for one for my Coolpix 5600. It looks like there are two options that I have found. The Fantasea CP-6 and the Nikon WP-CP3. From what limited information I can find online, for a few bucks more, the WP-CP3 seems like a better housing. Does anyone have any experience with either? OR is there a different one out there you would suggest?

If I do pull the trigger on either, what are my options for add-ons such as strobes? I am not expecting much but wanted to get comfortable underwater with a camera before I spend the big bucks on the D50 housing.

Thoughts, suggestions, help? Thanks in advance! :D

I have been using the WP-CP3 housing for 4 years now. Never used any add ons, so can't really comment on that aspect of the housing. But the WP-CP3 housing does give underwater access to every function button on the 5600, which has certainly been handy over the years. I haven't looked at the Fantasea housing recently, a while back they had limited function buttons on the housing, but I remember a post from a year or two back that mentioned the newer models had improved on that? Not sure.

The compact design of the WP-CP3 is great, I can stick the whole thing in my BC pocket when not in use. It is not bad for macro, and so-so for most other types of underwater photos. You can check out the pix in my stats if you like, they were taken with this setup. I would upgrade if I could afford it, but also have to worry about the budget...All in all, I am happy with the pictures I get with the cheap-o setup.

Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom