Nikon 300s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wizard1325

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
ok I want to buy this camera to take clean shots
underwater

2 questions whats the best money can buy for the housing?
I was looking at ikeite

and second question what strobes do you guys recommend? for this camera

Ahhhh if money is no object....You get into what is better Mercedes, BMW, Aston Martin world?

Many consider Seacam and Subal to be the best housings. Nauticam is getting excellent reviews but is a fairly new player. Those who love electronic controls swear by Light and Motion but like most sports cars when you have a problem it tends to be big and not easy for the avg person to fix.

With strobes the new issue is your ability to shoot HD video. Ikelite is the first out with a strobe that can work to shoot stills and light for video. Others will soon follow. Might be 6mths-1yr before there are more integrated options. Otherwise if you want to do both on one dive you have to have 2strobes and 1-2 video lights all on your camera.

Otherwise with strobes main factors are Power/Size/Color spectrum. You like wide angle, the more powerful the strobe the better. Subtronic, Hartenberger and Seacam are considered the top of the line and their prices show it. Each make excellent mid and small strobes for all around and macro shooting.

Inon, Ikelite and Sea & Sea would be the next tier. Inon IMHO has the best "all around" strobes but can't compete with the above for major WA. FYI I do have a set of Inon D2000s and Subtronic Novas. I love the Subtronics for Med-Wide Angle, to my eye the more blue light is truer to what I see underwater. But they are 4x the size of the Inons. The Inons are great for med-macro and to date have been trouble free. BUT if I had the money I would go with all Subtronic.

Good luck!

thanks

Back
Top Bottom