Question on Focusing Nikon AF-D 60mm in S&S Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hongrace

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have limited experience in autofocus lenses. Of those Nikon AF lenses I have, they don't seem to have the M-A ring. I assume this ring is to switch the lens from Auto Focus to Manual Focus and vv. The Nikon AF-D 60mm f/2.8 has this ring. So if I use this lens and want to override the AF, can I just turn the focus ring to adjust while the M-A ring is still in A position?

I ask this question because S&S has several types of ports for this lens. Some of the ports has the facility to accommodate a M-A ring gear as well as focus gear. This I think is to allow switching between AF and MF.

But some other ports has only the focusing gear. Does this mean I have to set the lens in MF position before dive and use MF only underwater? Or I can leave it at A postion and override the AF as I wish?

Thanks

To use manual focus the A/M ring must be set to M, and the C/S/M switch on front of camera body must be set to M. AF works fine with this lens the large majority of the time. As you mention special port is required to access the A/M lens ring. Without this port you must preset lens & camera to M before the dive. I would not spend the extra $$ for port & gear to get manual with this lens. The new 60mm lens does have AF w/manual over ride, so only focus gear is required. Manual focus would be more useful on the 105 than 60, so the new 105 would be a good investment since is has AF/M.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom