Nikon Coolpix 885 u/w housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dzul

Reaction score
east coast malaysia where the diving is endless &
I got a Nikon Coolpix 885 that I'm planning to use for u/w shots. THe thing that gets me is that the casing cost at least twice the amount that I paid for the camera! What's with this? I dont know if it's the USD - Malaysian currency conversion that's making this piece of equipment have an unbelivable price tag, or is it just the market forces at work....

There are only about four manufacturers who make casings for the Nikon Coolpix 885 so the choices are really limited. :mean: I'm thinking of getting the Fantasea Sport that retailing for USD 150.00:upset: this seems to be the most cost effective model around.

Anyone out there with any input on this? Any alternatives? How about DIY underwater casings? How difficult is it to fabricate one?

I have a CP880. When I started looking for housings, all that was available was an Ikelite and if I remember correctly, it was around $600. When I saw the Fantasea housing I got very excited until I saw they won't be making one for the 880. So count your blessings!

I'd go with the Fantasea, get flood insurance, and enjoy!

Thanks for the pricing perspective. The exchange rate is killing me! Even without shipping cost included the casing from Fantasea will cost RM 570.00. Well...I guess you can never win them all.:approve: Any experience with the Fantasea Sport? Pros/cons?

Dzul once bubbled...
Thanks for the pricing perspective. The exchange rate is killing me! Even without shipping cost included the casing from Fantasea will cost RM 570.00. Well...I guess you can never win them all.:approve: Any experience with the Fantasea Sport? Pros/cons?

No, afraid not. I've never even seen one! I've been watching it develope, though, and have talked to the developer of it over on Digital Diver. I'd have one tomorrow for my 880 if they made one for it!

IMHO, if you are going to drop the money on an underwater housing, you really should consider upgrading your camera.....

A lot has changed since the 885.........just a thought

Karl

Thanks for the reply Karl;

I got the 885 and I dont know how much I'm going to be 'in-to' underwater photography, so I figured before I start investing big time, I'll just get a simple casing & see where it leads me. At this point of time I really dont fancy going u/w with all the gadgets and contraptions that I see some serious u/w photograpers use - I'll be spending my bottom time looking out for these equipment rather than doing what I like down there. Thanks for the heads-up though. Your WWW is impressive!:wink:

Dee -- I ordered one today to go with a coolpix 4300. Assuming it and I survive the trip, I'll try to bring it along if I meet you at another TSDT function. :)

Bill

Very good! I'll look forward to the pictures!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom