Will Zen DP-100 work with nikor AF-S 60mm macro lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, after reading a few reviews I think the answer to this is yes, but figured I'd ask here for a little verification. I have a Zen DP-100 mini dome for my Tokina 10-17 and definitely want to pick up a macro setup. I've gone back and forth between the 60 and 105 but have convinced myself to start with the 60mm. Then the internal debate was AF-D vs AF-S and the jury's still out on this one.

Due to the fact that the AF-D is not an internal focus lens I'm doubting it will work in the Zen mini, but if I'm reading the specs correctly I believe the AF-S might just work. Don't get me wrong, I know I would eventually need a flat port for true macro work, but I like this as a potentially excellent travel option. Not to mention it would save me a few $'s, which would be nice at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
-E

OK, after reading a few reviews I think the answer to this is yes, but figured I'd ask here for a little verification. I have a Zen DP-100 mini dome for my Tokina 10-17 and definitely want to pick up a macro setup. I've gone back and forth between the 60 and 105 but have convinced myself to start with the 60mm. Then the internal debate was AF-D vs AF-S and the jury's still out on this one.

Due to the fact that the AF-D is not an internal focus lens I'm doubting it will work in the Zen mini, but if I'm reading the specs correctly I believe the AF-S might just work. Don't get me wrong, I know I would eventually need a flat port for true macro work, but I like this as a potentially excellent travel option. Not to mention it would save me a few $'s, which would be nice at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
-E

I have the combo but have yet to try it. I usually use the Nikkor 40mm behind the Zen mini. The dome actually gives a nice CFWA perspective. I think the 60mm AFS may need a 20mm extension, as it is about that much larger than the Tokina 10-17. But anyways, this isn't a very wise choice for macro, it's better for reef fish and squid etc. Every time I use it for macro with the 40mm or even CFWA with the Tokina, I am paranoid that I will bump the dome by accident.

BTW, small things like Nudi's are harder to light properly as well with this combo.

I have been curious though and I will probably try out the 60mm this week, or next, so I'll let you know.

I tried the 6omm AFS behind the Zen mini last night and it worked quite nicely. You do need a 20mm extension ring to make this combo work though, so I don't think it's a money saver over a flat port. Here's a pic of some Harlequin Shrimp taken with the combo.:wink: _DSC4258.jpg

Nice stuff Magrone, great color and composition.

Unfortunately I ordered the 60mm before I read your message based on a thread on WetPixel which said this would work in the Zen dome without requiring an extension. Unfortunately you're correct, and this doesn't work and will require an extension ring which doesn't make much financial sense for me right now, so I'll have to find a way to pick-up the macro port sometime soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom