Buying underwater housing for D5100 or buy different body

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClairevL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Two years ago I bought a Nikon D5100 and I quite like it. I recently started diving, so I'd love to start doing some underwater photography as well. However I'm not quite sure what to do yet.

For this camera I have a Nikkor AF-S 50 mm 1.8G, the 'kit lens': Nikkor 18-35 mm, and a Nikkor 70-300 mm. Meaning that I would probably need something different or underwater.

The Ikelite underwater housing for this camera will cost me about 1300 euro and it is very difficult to find a used one for sale. Furthermore I would probably need different lenses, which will need an autofocus motor, since the D5100 does not have one in the body

The alternative would be selling this camera and buy a different one (preferably used) including housing. I already found a D90 and D70 in the Netherlands. But the question is: would I replace my D5100 with a D90 (or D70)? The built in autofocus motor in definitely an advantage, but I'm not quite sure about other properties (I don't really care about video for this camera).

And furthermore: which lens would be a good choice to start with? The Tokina 10-17mm seems great, since it will still give a wide angle, despite the crop factor. Or would it be better to start with a macro lens? Do I have to buy new ports for every lens?

I would really appreciate any advise! Does anyone perhaps have experience with the D5100 under water?

As a general rule of thumb, I recommend upgrading your body before buying a new housing. Technology advances pretty fast and a 2 year old camera would be practically impossible to sell if you wait another two years to the point where you want to upgrade, so in the long run it's best to get a new housing for a new camera, not a new housing for an old camera.
However, getting an old housing for an old camera, or getting them both together as a used complete system could be a good deal since people are selling it at 40%-50% off retail cost at very good condition.

So bottom line for that, either get a new housing for a new camera, or get an older bundle.

As for lenses, the Tokina 10-17 is indeed great! Starting out with a wide angle lens is better that starting with a macro, and easier at first.
Getting good macro shots is harder and needs more practice.
Some lenses would fit under the same dome port, and the 60mm macro would also fit under a dome port in many cases.
But for really good macro it's best to get a flat port and even attach a wet lens to improve magnification.

Decide on a budget, stretch it out a bit to get what you really want, and upgrade your lenses in the future. :)

The problem with your D5100 is that it relies on having motorized lenses for auto focus; like "AFS" Nikon lenses.

More advanced models like the D7100 or new D7200 have lens motors in them and can use un-motorized lenses like the Tokina 10-17.

I would be looking at a D7100 if you're on a budget, there are lots of choices of housings and if you want to upgrade to a D7200, the same housings will fit it. The D7000, although a great camera, is a bit too old unless you look around and find a used rig.

You might want to also look on our website at our Resource Center; I have a free downloadable Handbook "Choosing a Camera and Housing" that will help give you some background of things to consider. There is also an article about lenses here: Guide: Recommended Lenses for Underwater Photography.

I'm using Nikon D5200 with Ikelite Housing. For wide angle, I prefer Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Fisheye (it has focusing motor). If for normal wide, I use Tokina 11-16 which I rarely use.

For macro, Nikon AF-S 60 Macro or Nikon AF-S 105 Macro working well with my D5200.

I have the D7100 and absolutely love it but it is a big rig. I am not sure how many dives you have under your belt, but in general a dslr underwater is a big set up so you might want to wait until you have a little more experience diving. Focus on getting your buoyancy perfect so that you can get close to critters without touching the reef. Your fellow divers, dive guides and critters will appreciate you more!!

It's pretty easy to get a D7000 and housing used these days, which is what I would recommend if your budget is limited.

Else, a 7200 and Nauticam housing would be a great setup and should last you years. Jack can help you get that set up.

I would avoid the D70 due to CF slot issues causing errors and ultimately corrupt CF cards (camera locks up during the dive, you lose the photos on the card, etc)

This ultimately drove us to upgrade my wife from a D70s to a used D300.

Hanks so much for all your useful replies! I really appreciate it!
James, you said it's pretty easy to get a D7000 and housing; that sounds like a great thing to start with. Although in the Netherlands I can't find it used. Would you know of how to get something like this in Europe?
If I cannot get a used camera and housing, I think I'll indeed go for a D7100 and housing.
Jack, thanks very much for the link to the handbook!

Lots of good advice here already.

I use a Nikon D7100 with a Tokina 10-17, Nikkor 10-24 and a Nikkor 60 Micro. The Nikkor 10-24 sees the most use. The Tokina 10-17 sees the least use. I'm not overly crazy about the curvature that accompanies the 10-17, but that's just me.

There are advantages to buying a camera that has newer technology over an older camera.

-AZTinman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom