Nikon 990 & Ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Just curious to know how other users are getting along? Do you use the red filter much, how do you get along with TTL strobe? How large of memory card are you using and what kind of battery life are you getting?

I use the 990 at work. I work in Pathology, where we take a considerable number of photos.

The 990 eats batteries in a hurry. If you were photographing for an hour dive, I would replace the batteries with new ones for the next dive.

I really recommend using the rechargable AA batteries, get 2 or 3 sets.

The only negative I have noticed with this camera, is that it doesnt produce very sharp images when there is little light. I think that if you used a lighting system like ones used with video, pics would come out great.

You might want to look at my reply to Manta 888's thread
on Digital Photography,above.

I found the Nikon 990 extremely unuser friendly, particulary when it was in the Ikelite housing. For example, if I remmember correctly it took about 3 or 4 steps
to switch modes; campared the the 2 steps for the Olympus 3030, and a simple one step twist of the dial to switch the 3030 from still to videio mode.

Also, the 990 eats batteries, even rechargeable NIMH Hi-Caps. The 3030 for whatever reason has a better power management.

For the 990 loaner I used in Cocos I had a 32MB and a 64MB
card, and shot everything at 3.3 Meg resolution. This gave me approx. 28 shots for the 64MB card. Should any one want to buy the 64MB card at a very reasonable price, contact me via email [jeffweiss@worldnet.att.com] since the Olympus 3030 uses smart media not compact flash. The flash card was purchased new in Sept. and used only during my trip in Oct. to Cocos. It's just sitting around gathering dust.

JeffW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom