Switching 5050 Ikelite Housing > L&M Tetra Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am thinking of making this switch, however, my big dilemma is that I have already all the equipment for the ikelite housing. This includes:

- Ikelite sync cords (x1) ikelite bulkhead to ikelite strobe
- Ikelite sync cords (x1) ikelite bulkhead to Nikonos strobe (INON z220)
(i can only pick 1 of the 2 sync cords at a time to use)
- INON wide angle lens & Dome port
- INON stacking macro 165 lenses (x2)

If I did purchase a Tetra housing for my c5050 Olympus, how many of the items above will I have to replace or get adaptors to continue using w/ the Tetra housing?

FOr sure, the sync cords will not be usable! But has anyone heard of sync cord adaptors? ...so that I can reuse my current sync cords with an adaptor that can be placed over to the Ikelite bulkhead to convert it to the same bulkhead port as the Tetra?

The bigger question is will my current INON wide & macro lenses be usable w/ the Tetra lense port? If not, do any adaptors exist so that I can? If not, does that mean that I cannot use these INON lenses any longer & have to buy the L&M wide & macro lenses to get the extra wide & macro shots?

LMI has a threaded port that allows you to use your Inon lenses. It used to be that they would not sell just the port....you had to buy one of their lenses with it (which are made by Inon). Check and see if the housing you are looking at comes with a wetmate port.

ROC is a great tool......when it works! I, and several others I know, all have had trouble with it going out while on trips. If I were to do it all over, I would go with the Ike TTL housing (more reliable) and save some money!

YMMV,
Dave

I went from the Oly housing to the Tetra 5050. I LOVE the housing and the ROC system. VERY easy to use, and does a good job. Your Inon lenses will work with the adapter dbh refers to and Ryan has. I shoot with Z220's also, you can use wetlink bulk heads and cords or Nikon bulkheads and cords. You can use a single bulk head with a Y cord to strobes, or two bulkheads and two cords.
FYI, Ryan at Reef Photo Video has been wonderful to work with, VERY knowledgeable........ and really a nice guy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom