Condensate getting in Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Here's a tip I have discovered with my Oly 8080 Housing.

The housing never should any signs of leakage on deeper dives, but when I dove shallow, like on beach dives I had condensate forming from no apparent leak path. Ruled air moisture since the water was warm.

Found 2 possible scenarios going on:

1) Lot's of surge action...this could flex the housing
2) Fine sand suspended in the water

Well, really examining the housing post dive, I did find small sand particles ahead of the double O-Ring seals at nearly all of the buttons. I blew that out with a Computer Key Board Air Duster. Also noted the same fine sand particles at the major O-Ring seals and dome port. Same treatment.

So far after this treatment, no condensate with about 6 dives, some approching 100ft.
I also stopped doing beach dives with the system.

Hope this helps someone out there!

It is normal to see small pieces of sand on the o-ring after a dive where there is a lot of sand in the water. This is one of the reasons opening the camera in between dives to change a card or battery can really cause problems if you don't inspect and clean the o-rings. However, if there was no leak during the dive, and the o-rings were clean when it was assembled, I have never heard of a leak/condensation caused by sand during a dive (but it is possible I guess). :huh:

Anyhow, it is more likely that you has warm moist air in the camera housing when you assembled it, and then the cooler water caused it to condense. I try to assemble mine in a AC controlled room since the moisture is really low there. You could also use a silica gel pack to help with the moisture also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom