diopter close-up lens question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gballard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read on the Ikelite site that you need a +4 diopter close-up lens with a 6 inch dome port. I have the e-330 with the standard 14-45 lens. Is it needed on the lens to focus, or what are the problems without it? I know the dome makes the subject look like it's right in front of the camera. Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this issue.

I have the 14-45 but although I have a +4 diopter, I took it out for the first dive without the diopter to understand the limitation. Unlike the 14-54, the 14-45 has a minimum focus distance that it quite large. ( I forgot the exact specs.) What this translates to underwater is that you are unable to focus on anything closer than about 2 feet from your camera. With the +4 diopter you are able to get up to 6" away and focus. I now don't go without the diopter.

Yes, I was doing more reading on the lenses. The 14-45 min focus is 15 inches, the 14-54 is about 8.5 inches. If the min focus is more than 12 inches, you need the diopter lens. Thankyou so much for your help. I'll been looking into buying one today.:D

Got my close-up lens, I tried it in the housing just for fit. The filter sticks out enough to hit the dome port. I have the right 6" dome port for the 14-45 lens, but I guess the diopter lens makes it a little too long. I guess I won't be able to zoom all the way in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom