What camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Hamm

Contributor
Reaction score
In the middle of the biggest neighborhood ever
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to the entire diving experience and am about to get my certification. I'm very interested in taking pictures underwater especially since i'm diving in the Red Sea next summer while i'm in Egypt. I was looking at 2 different ones mainly, just looking for a inexpensive decent camera for now, maybe get a better one some other time... So, i was debating between the Stylus TOUGH-8000 or the Stylus 1030sw. Any input?

Please dont harp on me that it has been asked before, I've done the search and none of them have the answer of what I am looking for.

Mitch

I am new to the entire diving experience-----
Please dont harp on me that it has been asked before, I've done the search and none of them have the answer of what I am looking for.
Mitch

What answer are you looking for?

N

Go easy on the guy Nemrod...it's his first post.

Mitchell,

Welcome to Scuba Board.

couv

The answer to my question is the answer im looking for.

Any input on those 2?
Any other inexpensive one better for a beginner?

Thank you couv

Just bought the tough 8000, so I hope to post some pics and a brief review in the near future.

The 2 cameras you are looking at come down to simply the newer/greater megapixel/more$/etc vs the older/cheaper version. A buddy of mine got the 1030 a year or two ago and loves it. Have seen many photos it has taken and have used it a little while sailing and in the water. Liked it enough for me to buy the 8000.

Aside from the Olympus site, there are lots of online reviews for the 8000, including pictures taken / video taken / etc.

I'd suggest buying a good used camera combo to get started and see what you like/dislike. Lots of them out there right now.

Taken with a Oly 770SW without external strobe or wet lenses, the 770SW was the forrunner to the 1030SW:

P6170033_edited-1.jpg

P6170066_edited-1.jpg

P6170043_edited-2.jpg

P6170047_edited-1.jpg

Oly 770SW with Inon D2000 strobe and Inon 165 UFL lens:

P3280132_edited-1.jpg

The 1030SW should produce similar results. For comparison, the Canon A570 (same as A590IS) with D2000 and Inon dome lens:

IMG_1383_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1315_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

N

Thanks man, the canon looks great, any alternative housings?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom