Best means of securing to a bcd a PT-045 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topper1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a Olympus Tough 8000 and a PT-045 housing.

I don't have my own bcd - I just rent most my scuba gear when I go diving.

What would the best, most convenient and most secure means of attaching my PT-045 housing to a bcd?

What is best...perhaps some kind of coiled tether with camera mount?
Has anyone a suggestion for a good product?
Perhaps something from Scuba Diving Equipment from Simply Scuba ...as I want to get some other gear from there soon anyhow.

Another "coiled lanyard user here. I put a bolt snap on each end of the lanyard, and
I put a SS split ring through the small hole near the bottom (front) of the PT 45 housing.

When returning to the boat, I unclip the camera from my BC and hand it to a crewman, I still have my hand through the coils until the crew man has a good hold of it. I have a strobe and tray, so it makes the handoff a bit easier.

just one note though, if the lanyard is uncoiled, it is a loooooooooooooong lanyard. i have a tray with a handle as well and now i have a slight problem--negative bouancy.

Do you have a picture of the set up attached to your BC? I have stuggled with the best way to attach the housing (with tray and strobe) without being too cumbersome.

hmm did not ask the divemaster for that shot. will keep that in mind when i dive next. but you are right, it is cumbersome, remem to hold the whole rig close to your chest upon water entry or you might get hit in the face!

If you can think about it, even a dry land shot of the combo attached to the BC would be helpful.

LUMB BROS Search Results

take a look at these, it's probably too expensive to get them off this site as they are in the UK & the postage costs are not cheap, but note that the fastenings are stainless steel, not plastic. i've seen too many cylinders dropped on the plastic and break them, the worst thing is that the plastic gets cracked then breaks underwater.

you have paid a small fortune for your camera etc and you have some special memories on the card, don't lose that for the sake of replacing plastic with stainless steel, the cost is very small in comparison.

Here's a coil lanyard set up I use with my camera:

Attachments

• DSC06704cropped.jpg
    DSC06704cropped.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 82
Thanks for the photo post. It gives me some ideas. I have only been doing UW photos for about 3 years, and haven't figured out how to handle my rig completely especially since I got a tray and strobe. Before this, I had the OLY 770, and now the 8000 with the housing. Before I had the tray, I just clipped the camera and housing to my BC, but now, with a tray and strobe, it is more cumbersome. The main problem is when I need to use 2 hands to descend a mooring line to go down to a wreck and there is heavy current. You really need 2 hands to use the morring line, but can't holding the rig with strobe.

Back
Top Bottom