Trouble with Olympus XD Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I know there are some uber-techos out there so Im need of your knowhow. My recent purchase of the Olympus XD 2GB card has stalled with ' card error, clean card'. Have gone on some forums and tried pc instpector smart recovery and a few others. They didnt recognise any data on card. Am I with no other options (apart from paying a forensic data recovery of squllions) or do I have some glimmer of hope of recovering the photos? Karl Ive tried your suggestion but no good news.

Thanks and appreciations.

Are you using a card reader? It might not be compatible with your computer or size of card.
I'd try directly downloading from the camera using a cable. And/or a different reader.

If you have a newer camera, swtich to micro-sd cards and use the little yellow adapter that came with the camera. That media is faster, cheaper and much larger.

Jack

My recent purchase of the Olympus XD 2GB card has stalled with ' card error, clean card'. Have gone on some forums and tried pc instpector smart recovery and a few others. They didnt recognise any data on card.

(1) You didn't say which model of camera. My old Olympus C-40 allowed me to insert a 1-gig card, but was only designed to accept 512 meg.

(2) I learned to reformat my 512-meg card every month or so during dive season. I'm a heavy user, so the card needed "defragging."

My camera is the MJ 8000 and tried to download directly from the camera. Apparently this has happened before with the xd cards? Have tried recovery software ie pc inspector smartrecoveryto no avail.

Sorry to hear about your problem. That is a bummer for sure. I had a error once (I forget exactly how it happened since it was more than a year ago) and lost a couple of pix. But I don't keep my photos on my card. After a couple of dives (or a couple of days of shooting on land) I upload them to my computer and then format my card. Good luck retrieving them.

Thanks guys, normally I wouldnt bother too much about losing photos but there are some sentimental pics of family members I recently took which I would like to recover. I'll give the software a crack Andy, thanks for the link. Should I connect the camera dirrect or try an external cardreader?

I would try the card reader first to cut out any possible issues with the camera.

Tried this software in internal card reader, card was not detected. Scanned with card in camera connected but after scan there were no files found. Should i bother trying in an external card reader - generic for xd cards?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom