athena v170 and olympus 14-42

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

For my E-620 I am planning to buy the 9-18 WA lens and the athena V170 domeport to go with it. I have read somewhere that the port would also fit the 14-42mm kit lens so I could use that additionally to the WA. Can anyone confirm that? Does the 14-42 require an extension ring with the V170?

Thanks

I can check, we're going to be carrying Athena, and will be carrying this port. PM me if you're interested.

I know that the WideZoomPort 9-18 now comes with the zoom gear and I think it's the same as for the 14-42.

Jack

Thanks Jack
would be great if you can check if the V170 port works with the 14-42 as well

cheers

I received this reply:
The Athena does not recommend it, but it is possible.
The required items is the followings.
lens hood LH-170
Dome port OPD-170-PTE
Extension ring EP-TC14-PTE
Zoom gear for 9-18 ZG/9-18-PTE
Zoom gear for 14-42 ZG/14-42-PTE
---

I do know that that dome is pretty pricey. The Olympus dome is recommended for the 9-18 and is cheaper. For the cost difference you could easily buy the Athena port for the 14-42. Or even cheaper is to buy the Athena 9-18 port and 14-42. I will be stocking these.

Jack

Thanks again Jack,

makes it worth reconsidering: I thought the Oly PPO-E04 is more expensive than the Athena dome

Olympus PPO-E04 dome (I believe it's made by Athena) is $979. I sell it a little cheaper if you buy the lens and port together. The zoom ring is another $150 or so.

The Athena 9-18 WideZoom Port 9-18 is $748 with zoom ring.

I'll get back to you about the other parts listed above.

Jack

The 9-18 and 14 42 zoom gears are interchangeable and both lenses work well in the 170 mm dome WITHOUT the extension ring for the 1.4 tele converter. Not true with the Athena 100 mm dome for the 9-18. For a few $$$$ more the 170 mm dome can be used with so many more lenses. Jack is correct, the dome glass and coating in the Oly dome and the Athena 170 mm dome are the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom