Olympus E-500 U/W photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lyonfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I'm new to this forum and diving in general. I've always been experimental in photography in the surface world, but thought it would be nice to take underwater pictures.

I've currently got an Olympus E-500 DSLR and have so far only been able to find a discontinued Ikelite housing. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this housing or has the same camera and would recommend something different (and maybe not "discontinued".)

Your Olympus E-500 is also "discontinued." IMHO, you would be better off, in the long run, spending the money to upgrade your camera and buying the housing to go with it. Underwater photography is, unfortunately, a hole into which we throw money.

Ditto - maybe look at an E-620 and the Oly housing?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it. I was hoping to use my E-500, but I guess things become obsolete fast even in the photography world. Its nice to see Olympus is making their own housing though.

Whatever you buy will be discontinued and obsolete almost as soon as you get it.

Which lens do you have for your E-500?

How much is the housing?

If you already have a good lens and the housing is at a low price, you may want to go for it. The lens, port and your strobe(s) will probably work with an upgraded camera/housing in the future.

Ikelite housings are very good quality. They can be a little more bulky due to their cubic plan form. However they can be used deeper than the Oly branded housings.

Like others have said, it is a price thing. And I agree with that. I wanted to get back into UW photography, and bought a used C5000Z and new discontinued PT-019 housing off ebay for a little under $200.00. It was an excellent investment.

I still have it, and use it with the housing as an above water camera for the sailboat. It takes great pictures, and I don't have to worry about it getting water damage.

If you already have the camera, lens and such, and the housing is a reasonable cost, I say give it a shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom