Need Help with Strobe And Tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LLKZ16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to purchase a strobe and tray for my SP-350 with it's PT-030 housing. The issue is that I do not want to spend a lot of money but at the same time I want to get something that will work well. I mostly do macro and super macro photography.

Any suggestions on a good value decision. Also, will a focus light be necessary?

Thanks,
Lee

I have several lighting packages that will work. For a budget strobe to shoot macro, the Fantasea Remora will work pretty well as it's quite adjustable. If you can spend a little more the Sea & Sea YS27DX would be a better choice.

Any other trays and so forth can be mixed/match with any of the strobes.

Yes, I would recommend a focus light as it will greatly speed up acquiring focus lock and allow you to see to frame easier. Pretty essential for night dives.

OOLIGHT.2-YS27DX.Lg.jpg

Jack

Jack,

Thanks for your help!

For the Sea & Sea YS27DX package, how does the sync cord attach on to the housing? Also, what would the full set up cost for the Sea & Sea YS27DX package pictured above.

Thanks,
Lee

Not sure about the total cost of a YS-27 with focus light....

The YS-110 has a built in focus light which in my opinion makes the whole camera package easier to travel with and handle underwater....

Hope this helps.....M

Full TTL is (IMHO) way better than a fiber triggered strobe.

And I've had so many failures with Fantasea products I won't even comment on that cheap crap.

Dual handle tray is a plus for handling the camera underwater, as well as handing it up to the boat. Ikelite is very nice.

what-ever you do, have growth into your system in mind, what is happy for you now may be obsolete in a year from now. Spend the money once.

If you want a Sealife SL-960 strobe cheap, pm me and it'll come to you with a brand new fiber trigger cord.

Any suggestions on the focus light? Is it better to get a LED type? How strong a light source? Connect to the hot shoe or is it better to have the separate handle?

Which strobe are you thinking about or did you buy?

Not sure I follow "Connect to the hot shoe" the focus light is independent unless it integrated in the strobe then it turns off auto automatically when the strobe fires.....

M

A Big Blue Focus Light shuts down with strobe fire. It is so bright I use it as my dive light on night dives. Is kind of freaky at first when it shuts off but comes back in 3 seconds. Jack carries them. Great light. As far as strobes go, look at the new Inon Strobe. Very compact and does not need a sync cord. Ikelight has a Strobe tray combo called the AF35, I believe, no cord required for this one either. I have done the whole cheap strobe thing, you get what you pay for.

I am not impressed with the Ike AF35 system, it's quite weak.

Yes, the YS-110a is a great strobe, I just bought two for my DSLR rig. TTL works really well with them. But the YS-27DX remains a favorite for size and cost for many P&S'ers.

Jack

I'll second Jack's arm set. I have had one on my DSLR for the last year, just changed the bottom tray, its held up really well. The YS110a also works great. I had one of the Fantasea 44LED lights and it works pretty well, especially for the price, I now have a Fisheye LED that is priced like its made of gold but is like a portable sun with a very even beam. I use that as my primary dive light as well as a focus light.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom