new micro 4/3 camera and goes underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is just a matter of time until this become the hot category for underwater, size of a G11, capability of a dSLR. And, with the 35mm pancake lens, wet mount lens compatible, maybe. Go Oly go.

N

Beg to differ, Nemrod.

The Oly has no internal flash (many of us only shoot manual). Otoh, the Panasonic GF1 has flash, better lcd, and (I believe) can also use the Oly lens. I am waiting to see what housing support it gets. Without ttl, maybe there will be a value housing..........maybe

Beg to differ, Nemrod.

The Oly has no internal flash (many of us only shoot manual). Otoh, the Panasonic GF1 has flash, better lcd, and (I believe) can also use the Oly lens. I am waiting to see what housing support it gets. Without ttl, maybe there will be a value housing..........maybe

Excuse me, go to the link, this is not an EP1 or EP2 is is the E-PL1 and it has a built in pop up flash. And besides, the Panasonic is a Micro 4:3 compliant camera. Both Panasonic and Oly signed on to it. I would include the Panasonic in the same category of camera I was speaking of when I said I think this will become a hot category over the next few years.

Read the link before you jump a fellow please.

If "us" only shoot manual then "us" is missing out. Why eliminate cruise control just because you can shift gears?

Maybe someday the camera companies will provide a digi cam with only a manual mode with f stop on the lens ring and shutter on the knob on top, like a real camera instead of command controls, menu and buttons, then this "us" will be in hog heaven. Maybe throw in a simple Av mode for lazy days. No program, no movies, no buttons, no auto everything, manual focus too, why stop with "us" only do manual if "us" don't manual focus too? :)

How do you know I am not one of "us", why do you think I swim around with a Sekonic light meter and get chided for being old fashioned as in setting my own f stop and shutter et al?

N

Here you go, the new Olympus Micro 4:3 E-PL1 with Oly housing:

4327214897_c01622154d_m.jpg

Supposedly available in March time frame. Of course Ikelite is working on one also for the EP series cameras. Also review this info:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020305olypenepl1.asp

Port is non removable.

HD movies are supported.

Depending upon port designs of these housings, regardless, the pancake 35mm equiv. Oly lens does work with the Inon 100 series WAL and UWA lenses so intrinsically there is nothing that prevents a wet lens option other than housing designs.

I am somewhat disappointed in the size of the housed unit, seems they included the EVF which bumps the housing size a bit. Don't see the need for that underwater. Sports photography, yeah, but underwater when you have a huge LCD? Well, getting there. Got to be able to get the entire rig into a carry on--------.

N

The E-PL1 seems designed for an inexpensive housing with only one dial, not too many buttons, and a basic rectangular shape.

It would be great to have a dome port for the 9-18 lens, (or the rumored MFT 8mm fisheye). A micro four thirds WA lens should work well with a 4" dome -- you can pretty much halve the size of all the optics from a full frame camera.

Is there a 4/3rds macro lens out there now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom