Where should I go ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Actually, I am not sure if I really want to move from what I have now. I am a vacation diver; 3 – 5 dive trips within the region every year ; total 60 – 80 dives. I can’t claim as a photographer; I take UW pictures as this is only thing I can take to show to my friends and relative. So, my expectation is not high. But the worst thing of UW photography is always push you to move and empty your pocket.

I bought my first UW camera was Olympus C5000UZ + OEM housing in 2004, no strobe, then 2 year later upgrade to Oly SP-550 + OEM housing + SL960D strobe; used in pool only before I sold it to my friend as I disappointed with this camera. Then I bought SP-350, OEM housing + Epoque ES230DS; quite happy with the performance although battery eater and very slow.

As you see I am Oly fans until I have no choice to purchase Canon G9, OEM housing, Inon UCL165M67 and Inon D2000 type 3 in 2007. G9 was a great camera, shame oly. My daughter loves this camera and used it most of the time; and poor dad have to use the “old” SP-350. So, does make sense if I am thinking to upgrade my gear, right !
For topsite activities, I am currently using Oly E-620 with various lenses incl. macro 25 mm + the very powerfull flash Metz 58AF-1 + small FL-20.

I understood moving to DSLR is not only about big money to spend but it will change the way you’re diving, travelling and other more change. I am trying to explore all the possibilities of my next upgrade; cost is always an issue. Always nice to have a very compact system and if possible I would like to optimize what I have now.

Here are some options in my head.
  1. Forget it Oly, go with canon G11, OEM housing and Inon S2000 strobe w/ FO cable; approx. USD 1500 incl. tray and arms. The most compact option.
  2. Same as option 1, but with third party housing and Inon Z240 + synch. Cable. Sure I’ll spend more than USD 2000.
  3. Get PT-06 w/ standard port for the E-620. Buy PFL-01 UW housing for FL-20. Total cost approx. USD 2000 inc. tray and arm. I can use all my 14-42, macro 25 mm and pancake lenses. I’ll get full TTL flash but very small power.
  4. Keep the E-620 for topsite; buy the new E-PL1 + PT-EP01 + PFL-01. Total cost less than USD 2000 incl. tray and arm. I can use all my 14-42, macro 25 mm and pancake lenses. I’ll get full TTL flash but very small power.
  5. Same as option 3 above but with UW housing for Metz 58AF-1, instead of FL-20. I know BS kinetic manufacture UW housing Metz. No idea about the cost; can be very expensive as the housing is made of carbon fibre. I’ve sent e-mail to BS kinetic; no response yet. With GN58 topsite; not sure underwater but I guess can reach 5 m. Should be suficient for WA.
  6. Same as option 4 above but with UW housing for Metz 58AF-1, instead of FL-20.
Any suggestion or better options ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom