PP-E04/50mm/14-42

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fallingspeaker

Registered
Reaction score
Do the 14-42 and the 50mm work in the Dome port? It doesn't say so on the spec sheet, but has anyone tried?

Just curious... especially about the 14-42.

The olympus ports for both of those lenses are flat. Athena makes a dome port for the 14-42 and a flat port for the 50. Have a look at Optical Ocean Sales site for more information. You would really like a flat port with the 50 and this Athena port is very nice as its more compact than the Olympus port and has a threaded end that will accept wet lenses.

Brian

Thanks, but my question is whether the 50mm and 14-42 will work in the pp-e04. I've done a search and it looks like the 14-42 will work. I'm interested in having a fast prime in the dome for fish photagraphy, hence the 50mm.

The answer to your question is yes they will both work, however you will have issues when trying to focus close because of the reduced distance from the outside of the dome to the subject when you get close-up. Take the 50 mm macro lens and extend it as far as it will go, (1:2) then place the camera in the housing and see how far the lens is from the inside of the glass. This is the distance between the dome and the subject that will be lost. With the great Athena and Inon ports for the 50 macro when extended the lens is within two or three millimeters of the inside of the dome glass allowing greater distance from the outside of the glass to the subject.

Second, the flat port reduces the angle of view of the lens which creates more distance to the subject. The dome retains the original AOV of the lens.

Third, the dome is over 170 mm and will get in the way V. the macro port or smaller zoom ports. The PPO-E04 is a great port but is not the best choice for these lenses.

Phil Rudin

Thanks for the answers phil. Was just trying to be as economical as possible. I don't actually have any dslr system yet, just trying to answer all my questions about them so I can buy confidently.

If I buy the olympus system, my plan is 50mm and inon port up front. 9-18 and dome a little later.

Sorry I am late on this just got my computer back up after a few weeks!

Phil suggested to me to buy the PPO-E05 port for use with the 14-42 standard lens and the 50mm macro lens. I am very happy with this choice as I have limited interest in wide angle photography.

If you want to save some money initially this might be a good option for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom